On Monday 03 July 2006 14:12, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 09:59:13AM +0100, Andre Bar'yudin wrote:
> > In big companies it is much more complicated.
>
> Not necessarily - it all depends on the company. I work for one of the
> biggest, and all you need to do to get a Linux desktop is ask for
> it. It's supported and in some departments, expected.

Indeed. The McConnell/Joel Test (
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000043.html [1]) specifies that
a software shop should have "The best tools money can buy". (See item #9)
Regardless of what one thinks of the test as a whole, I think this item is
correct.

This doesn't mean that the best tools will necessarily cost more, but
sometimes the employer must be willing to shell some money to supply your
programmers with decent tools and equipment. Otherwise they will be
under-productive and unhappy.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

[1] - There's a Hebrew translation here:

http://xrl.us/nuz5 ( I hope this link works -  you can find it on
http://local.joelonsoftware.com/ )

It was not too bad the last time I checked, but if you're comfortable with
reading English then the English original would be preferable.