On Sunday 02 July 2006 18:18, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:
> Aharon Schkolnik wrote:
> > I have started a new job and find that I will have to use some
> > applications which will run only under Windows (XP).  I would like to
> > run Linux on my desktop with a virtual XP machine running under it. In
> > the (relatively distant) past I have use VMware for this. At the time, I
> > convinced my employer to shell out the money for the VMware license. I
> > have been informed that getting the money out of my current employer may
> > be difficult and time consuming. In any event, I need to get some
> > solution up and running right away, so they don't start pressuring me to
> > put Windows on my desktop. I understand that VMware has a free "player"
> > and that it is possible to hack it into installing XP. Is this as big a
> > pain as it looks ? Has anyone done it ? Are there other possible
> > solutions ? What do you recommend ?
>
> Use qemu (http://www.qemu.org/) or change jobs ;-)

I have installed and am using qemu. It seems to work pretty well. The only
real problem I am having at the moment is with the cd drive. If I
specify  -cdrom /dev/hdc, and the cd drive is empty, qemu won't start. If I
don't specify -cdrom /dev/hdc, I can't access the cdrom at all from qemu. Has
anyone else experienced this ?

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,    |  Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward   |