On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 08:11:46PM +0200, David Suna wrote:

> I need to replace the UPS on my Ubuntu Dapper machine.  My local
> computer store (which knows nothing about Linux) has a UPS that
> connects via USB rather than the serial port.  I was wondering if
> anyone knows if this type of UPS is supported by Linux, specifically
> Ubuntu.

It depends which UPS exactly, and what UPS control software you use. I
use NUT, and their compatibility list is there:
http://www.networkupstools.org/compat/stable.html
http://www.networkupstools.org/acknowledgements.html

I also use apcupsd, which works only with APC brand UPSs:
http://www.apcupsd.org/

Neither of those will give you easy GUI point-and-click installation,
but they can manage a whole network with several machines on an UPS or
several machines on several UPSs.

> The USB UPS is made by Gammatronic.

There are some Gamatronic UPSs in the NUT list, I don't know if they
are USB or serial.

--
Lionel