On 6/26/07, Amos Shapira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,

I kept hearing that Samba 3 can join and do anything as a Windows
Domain Controller even better than Windows itself.

Partially true only. Samba will act as an NT domain controller, not as
an AD Domain controller. You will not have Group Policy functionality
(although there are third party commercial products that can add this
functionality). You will not be able to use Exchange higher then 5.5.

Samba is "better" as it can use LDAP as a back end, which is more
flexible then AD.

But now that I need it to replace a Backup Domain Controller (fka
Secondary Domain Controller?) to a Windows 2003 Active Directory
server I keep bumping into the following worrying FAQ:

http://tinyurl.com/yrnhv7

<quote>
Can Samba Be a Backup Domain Controller to an NT4 PDC?

  No. The native NT4 SAM replication protocols have not yet been fully
implemented.

 Can I get the benefits of a BDC with Samba?  Yes, but only to a Samba
PDC.The main reason for implementing a BDC is availability. If the PDC
is a Samba machine, a second Samba machine can be set up to service
logon requests whenever the PDC is down.
</quote>

And I'm not sure how relevant this is for my situation - is Windows
2003 considered "NT4 PDC" or is it something newer that Samba can
cooperate with as a BDC?

The long and the short of it: No. You can setup samba as a DC, with AD
as a backend, but this does offer replication of the AD.

Also the Samba online documents seem to come up with lots of stuff
about 2.2, if Samba 3 CAN be a BDC for Windows 2003 and there is a
good document on how to do this then I'd appreciate very much a direct
pointer to such docs. I have the Samba HOWTO printed book from around
2.5 years ago but I'm not sure how relevant this is for today.

Samba AD functionality is planned for Samba 4. Samba 3 is NT
compatible. Samba 2 NT functionality was very limited.

Thanks,

--Amos

Gil Freund, Systems Analyst