On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:32:39PM +0300, David Suna wrote:

> I haven't been able to find a driver for the 5610.  I have hplip and
> hplip-ppds installed but I don't know if this is used by the Samba print
> drivers or not.

Samba does not have print drivers. It has a program called SMBPRINT which
takes a byte stream ALREADY FORMATTED FOR THE PRINTER and passes it to the
printer.

What your probably are trying to do is print an ASCII stream or a Postscript
file to a printer that does not understand them.

Go to www.linuxprinting.org and see how they set up CUPS.

        http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-OfficeJet_5610

For example, I have a different but similar device.

My CUPS printers.conf file contains:

        <DefaultPrinter xxxxx-hp>
        Info hp Officejet 6100
        Location xxxxx's office
        DeviceURI smb://username:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/hp2
        State Idle
        Accepting Yes
        JobSheets none none
        QuotaPeriod 0
        PageLimit 0
        KLimit 0
        </Printer>

My ppd file contains among other things, the text:

        *% You may save this file as 'HP-OfficeJet_6110-hpijs.ppd'

It's name is /etc/cups/ppd/<printername>.ppd   replace <printername> with the
name of
the printer.

Install the foomatic scripts from linuxprinting.org.

Before YellowDog dropped their mailing lists, I posted complete sets of
directions
for CUPS. You can find them by STFW'ing for my name and "CUPS yellowdog".

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838