On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 01:52:57PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> I saw this question on another mailing list, not related to Linux.
>
> Someone has a DD dump of a ReiserFS partition. Can it be mounted as a
> file and read? Under Linux, I would try mounting it as a loopback
> device, but will even that work?
>
> I know that some file systems store data as sector addresses and DD
> images can only be put back on a disk of the same geometry and in the
> same place, while others only store LBA for example, ISO9660 and UDF.

Can you give an example? Last time I worked with a Unix filesystem that
was disk-geometry-aware was on Ultrix, where you told mkfs the disk
model you have, and it looked it up in some table and optimized the fs
for this model. Even it was not tied to the disk - you could later do dd
to a partition on another disk and mount it with no problem.

> They want to mount it under MacOS (which is BSD) if that helps
> (and any pointers to programs/drivers).

No idea, sorry - both about loop mounts in BSD and a reiserfs driver for
it.

Isn't copying over the net the easiest? From another machine, which will
run Linux (perhaps a livecd)?
--
Didi