Quoting Dotan Cohen <dotanco...@gmail.com>:

It needs to be commercial to be illegal.

Really? If I have a website that I don't make money off of, like
gibberish.co.il then can I send spam? I'll do it too, not in order to
promote the site but in order to get the law changed.

‎There is no chance that the law will be changed. First, politicians are the ones who are supposed to change it - and they have a vested interest in allowing political spam. Second, disallowing non-commercial spam may be regarded as an act against freedom of speech, and such an act may not pass Bagatz.

The way the current law defines spam is as a message that induces you to spend money. So spam calling for donations is also illegal. Promoting causes, such as asking for signatures for Gilad Shalit, or banning silicon from dairy products, is legal.

Herouth