On Mar 7, 2009, at 11:21 PM, Arie Skliarouk wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 13:54, Gilad Ben-Yossef <gi...@codefidence.com> wrote:
Arie Skliarouk wrote:

On a 150kbit upload ADSL upload of a 1500 bytes packet takes about 85ms. To send out the VoIP packet would take another 85ms (on condition that you have a really good QoS). This causes latency of 85-170ms with jitter 85ms. The VoIP speech (SIP protocol) has a lot of skips and is unacceptable.

SIP packets are about 100 bytes. They are even smaller with header compression, but CISCO
has a patent on that, so I can't say for certain anyone else uses it.

I have a US VoIP provider and they are extremely well connected to Netvision. Average ping times are slightly over 160ms. I used to have Vonage, and from Wednesday afternoon until early Sunday morning, they were unuseable. My current provider is good 24/6.5 (I'm shomer shabbat), but unlike my vonage connection, it was perfectly usable 3pm Friday, 8pm Saturday.

I have a 5m/256k cable modem from hot, and a TP-Link router without QOS.

Note there are other VoIP providers that do similar things, 012 provides you with a BEZEQ aDSL line and a "box", but won't let you use it for Internet, Orange makes you get the line, but provides the ISP service and "box". I have heard BBL does too, but have no desire to find out.

Actually the cheap deals for outgoing calls currently are the HOT 077 service with 2,000 minutes a month to BEZEQ and 077 lines. It is not VoIP and can be used for a fax, btw. Orange's 139 NIS for combined ISP service and 600 minutes is a good deal if you use it to call cell phones,
as HOT is 45ag a minute.

Neither is very good if you call mostly outside of Israel.

SKYPE has outgoing only service, but it is SKYPE, which is something some people love and others hate (I'm on the hate side) for $6 a month ($13 for a lot of countries).

My wife is in Amsterdam for 4 days, and I seriously thought about spending the $6 for one month of an incoming Dutch number via SKYPE, but she had no landline access.

Geoff.
--
geoffrey mendelson
geoffreymendel...@gmail.com