On Mar 29, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Geoff Shang wrote:

3. Have you considered Amazon EC2?

I hadn't, but I have now and dismissed it. We are starting an Internet radio station, and the 24/7 uptime for the cheapest EC2 instance hosted in Europe would be over $80/month. Add to that that it would cost approximately $7.50 per month per listener to a 128kbps stream, and that this doesn't count web traffic, uploading content to the server for playout, etc, and you can see that it doesn't scale very well.

Have you thought about Miro? It's a product of the Partipatory Culture Foundation and is really intended for Internet TV, but works with Internet Radio. You set up a channel and publish shows. The Miro software automaticly downloads them with bit torrent and gives you a nice gui for it. A friend of mine uses to watch the US network's news programs here in Israel. When he wakes up in the morning, the evening news is on his computer.

There are other text oriented tools for podcasting, that don't require a gui. The advantage of Miro is that it uses bit torrent as its transport mechanism to reduce bandwidth costs of
distribution.

Geoff.

--
geoffrey mendelson