  From: David Suna
  Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:59 PM
  Subject: Attaching a camera via USB

  My son got an inexpensive digital camera and I am trying to plug it in
  to an Ubuntu system to be able to copy off the pictures.  When I plug in
  the camera to the USB a light on the camera flashes but the device is
  not detected as a storage device.  When I run lsusb it sees the device

  Bus 003 Device 006: ID 0979:0227 Jeilin Technology Corp., Ltd

  lsusb -v for that device shows

  Bus 003 Device 006: ID 0979:0227 Jeilin Technology Corp., Ltd
  Device Descriptor:
    bLength                18
    bDescriptorType         1
    bcdUSB               1.10
    bDeviceSubClass         0
    bDeviceProtocol         0
    bMaxPacketSize0         8
    idVendor           0x0979 Jeilin Technology Corp., Ltd
    idProduct          0x0227
    bcdDevice            1.00
    iManufacturer           1
    iProduct                2
    iSerial                 0
    bNumConfigurations      1
    Configuration Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         2
      wTotalLength           46
      bNumInterfaces          1
      bConfigurationValue     1
      iConfiguration          0
      bmAttributes         0x80
        (Bus Powered)
      MaxPower              384mA
      Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                 9
        bDescriptorType         4
        bInterfaceNumber        0
        bAlternateSetting       0
        bNumEndpoints           4
        bInterfaceClass         0 (Defined at Interface level)
        bInterfaceSubClass      0
        bInterfaceProtocol      0
        iInterface              0
        Endpoint Descriptor:
          bLength                 7
          bDescriptorType         5
          bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
          bmAttributes            2
            Transfer Type            Bulk
            Synch Type               None
            Usage Type               Data
          wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
          bInterval               0
        Endpoint Descriptor:
          bLength                 7
          bDescriptorType         5
          bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
          bmAttributes            2
            Transfer Type            Bulk
            Synch Type               None
            Usage Type               Data
          wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
          bInterval               0
        Endpoint Descriptor:
          bLength                 7
          bDescriptorType         5
          bEndpointAddress     0x03  EP 3 OUT
          bmAttributes            2
            Transfer Type            Bulk
            Synch Type               None
            Usage Type               Data
          wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
          bInterval               0
        Endpoint Descriptor:
          bLength                 7
          bDescriptorType         5
          bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
          bmAttributes            2
            Transfer Type            Bulk
            Synch Type               None
            Usage Type               Data
          wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
          bInterval               0
  cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)

  I do not know how to move forward on getting this device to work as a
  storage device.  I do not need to use it as a webcam (which
  theoretically it can do) I just want to be able to copy off the pictures
  and delete them.  I tried searching but wasn't able to narrow down the
  search enough to be useful.  Any help on how to do this or pointers to
  online resources on how to do this would be appreciated.

  Thanks,

  --
  David Suna
  da...@davidsconsultants.com