Hi,

I suspect that some package update is to blame, but my home Fedora 10
(too busy - or lazy - to upgrade to 11) has recently acquired
something called PolicyKit, probably as a dependency of something
else.

It seems to be a complicated and cumbersome authentication/security
framework that so far has not done me much harm (I think), but I blame
it for popping up annoying and meaningless (to me) "authorization
dialog" forms requiring username and password for all kinds of weird
things, URLs, etc. http://scripts.felloweb.com comes to mind as one
of the recent ones, I tried to check what it is but the site requires
a password from a browser as well, I still don't know what it is).

I tried to google, to read the docs, and to poke around the system. I
added result="yes" to the config file for my user to tell it I can do
anything I want on my computer. What I really want to do is to kill
the beast once and for all. It looks incredibly complicated, I can't
make sense of the documentation (and I am pretty good at parsing
manuals, if I say so myself), and for the life of me I can't figure
out why, on top of sudo, pam, SElinux, and everything else I need this
thing from the fscking Gnome (pardon my French - I don't even use
Gnome, but there is PolicyKit-kde as well).

Does anyone know how I can disable the bloody thing globally so that
it shuts up once and for all? I am wary of uninstalling it bluntly
after I tried to trace the RPM dependencies and got lost in the forest
- the dependency net is cast widely indeed. Is it safe to "rpm -e
--nodeps"? Will anything serious break?

Thanks in advance,

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | p...@goldshmidt.org