i never performed a thorough "head-to-head" comparison between the two. valgrind has a few limitations - i didn't check if purify can overcome them or not. if it can - it could be a reason to use both of them. i think i did once check a program, that had a bug that valgrind didn't manage to identify, with pufiry, and it didn't report anything better then valgrind did for that case. this is of-course still not a good enough test.

on one occasion, there was an application that failed to run under purify on windows (it looked like some problem with purify - it's not that purify reported errors in the application) - and after it was ported to linux - valgrind managed to run it there. i know this is comparing apples to oranges plus it being anecdotal evidence,- but it was enough for me to get more assurance with valgrind's abilities.

--guy