Quoting David Suna <da...@davidsconsultants.com>:

3. If I were to purchase one of these (unlocked) phones online and have
it brought to Israel how easy is it to add Hebrew support?

One thing I learned yesterday as I was searching for a way to install Japanese fonts on my Motorola Milestone is that it's notoriously difficult to change/add fonts to Android phones. Basically you need to root them first, as the fonts directory permissions factory settings are read-only.

So if you buy a phone abroad, I'd strongly suggest you test it right there, using WiFi, just surfing to google.co.il or some such and seeing whether you get Hebrew fonts at all. If not, then you need to consider whether you want to root the phone and lose your warranty.

Once you have rooted the phone, it's just your normal Linux operation. Download the font file to the phone by mounting it or whatever, use a terminal and su to change the permissions of the fonts directory, and replace the fallback font with your font by renaming it properly. Full instructions can be found on various Android forums around the globe.

Soft keyboards are much easier to install.

I don't have any information regarding support of BiDi and whether it comes built in or requires root.

If anybody is aware of a better way to install fonts on Android, I'd be thrilled to hear about it, as my phone is company property and under warranty, so rooting is not an option for me.

Herouth