Hi Shomi,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[ANNOUNCEMENT] Resumed
maintenance of libmikmod and mikmod.":
> libmikmod is a portable and open-source (LGPLed) library for playing various
> common formats of Module files, including MOD, S3M, XM, and IT. mikmod is a
> Curses-based front-end for it, freely available under the GPL. Shlomi Fish
> would
> like to announce that he resumed maintenance of libmikmod and mikmod, after
> many

That's great. I have fond memories of these "mod" songs, which were "the
thing" in the early 90s, before storing and transferring recorded music
became practical. I used to have whole diskettes (!) full of these things ;-)

>..
> The version control repository was converted from CVS to Mercurial, and more
>..
> converting the build system from GNU Autotools to CMake, and then looking into
>..

I'm curious - I'm sure you didn't pick up mikmod just to convert its
makefile (a move which I have to admit, I don't like). What "itch" did
you have in mikmod which you wanted to "scratch"? I.e., what big feature
are you thinking of adding or annoying bug you wanted to fix?

Another thing I'm curious - is the tracker "scene" still alive? Are
people composing new MODs, listening to them, etc.? Is there a good site
you recommend for downloading MODs from? I have to admit its been (many)
years since I last listened to one.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |                 Wednesday, Apr 11 2012,