On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Oleg Goldshmidt <p...@goldshmidt.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 2:10 PM, ronys <ro...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Looks like Walla's having electric problems at their servers:
>> http://www.globes.co.il/news/article.aspx?did=1000753302
>>

> FWIW, I get "connection reset" *all the time* from various Google services
> - gmail, news, search, maps, youtube. I stopped raising a brow, just hit
> the "try again" button. It never occurred to me to suspect Linux (this
> looks to me a Google-specific issue) - I thought those were glitches in
> Google's massive datacenters... Or maybe in some Israeli cache or whatever.

More likely than a Linux's "fault", is faulty routers (or appliances) on
your path to Google's servers, that think they're smarter than Internet
endpoints, instead of just... routing traffic, what they were originally
supposed to do. Sometimes it's those "smart" QoS boxes...

Recently I did a very long debugging session on a customer of
Netvision/Barak, and realized that their equipment doesn't like the
"advanced" features enabled by Linux by default - the behavior of the ISP
network changed as I modified the things below. I would start echoing 0 to
numerous stuff under /proc/sys/net/ipv4/* to see if the problem alleviates.

Start with disabling:

TCP Timestamps
TCP SYN Cookies
Window Scaling
Selective ACKs (SACKs)

Also try MTU @ 1300 for the fun

And if you have TCP Offloading... might want to disable that, too. It could
be your NIC / NIC driver.

Good luck :-)

-- Shimi