On 7/28/2013 12:29 AM, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:

So I looked it up, jailbreaking is legal but if you hand the phone in
in it's jailborken state they will claim your warranty is void, if you
restore the phone to factory before handing it in you should be fine
(at least according to the people on the oh-so-trustable internets)

Jailbreaking is a minor issue. First of all, only a small portion of iPhone owners do it, most have no need nor clue as to why one would do it in the first place.

Jailbreaking can be removed by resetting the phone back to the state you bought it, which can easily be done using iTunes and anyone who has enough tech savvy to jailbreak it in the first place knows how to do it.

To keep this the least bit on topic, Android also has a "padded cell" which prevents you from installing software except from the Google store, but it can be turned off via a user settable option.

The problem is removing SP (usually mislabeled SIM) locks. If a locked iPhone does not have its SP lock removed by Apple, it has been tampered with and will not be repaired.

Service Providers that sell SP locked iPhones, unlock them through Apple.

I have never seen an SP locked Android phone, although I am sure they exist, so I have no information about how one unlocks them.

Ehm... the iDen network is still up and still heavily used.

Ok, thanks, I thought it was dead.

But yeah I also heard rumors that they'd like to close it and move
everyone to 3G, I guess if they provide stable PTT services on those
networks and devices that are rugged like most iDen devices most
people won't mind.

There are several private (as in non government) trunked radio systems in Israel, eventually everyone using MIRS will either go to cell phones, or buy time on one of them. Keeping the MIRS network going for the few users they have today will become less and less worth the cost.

Note that MIRS is the name of the system and service, iDen is a US vendor's name for their service to separate it from Motorola's MIRS service and other trunked services.

Pelephone didn't start with no customers, when the market was just
released I actually spoke to them to see if I wanted to move to them
but at the time their 3G network wasn't operational yet and I would
have had to buy a new (old) phone just to connect to them.

Pelephone has been mistreating customers since the first cellular service in Israel. They started out with AMPS, then NAMPS (which failed miserably in the rest of the world due to poor service in hilly/built up areas. They they moved to 800mHz CDMA, which was even worse in terms of crowded or hilly areas.

As far as I can find online Pelephone is still operating it's old
network (EV-DO/CDMA2000) but aren't accepting new customers with that
technology...

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379