I should have thought of that. I checked and the problem is only with
1 user. I compared all the settings in Kwrite for this user and another
user and don't see any difference.

BTW - I should have mentioned that this is ONLY in Kwrite and Kate.
In other programs (gedit, LibreOffice, Claws Mail) Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V
work as expected.