It may very well be chashavshevet and not the computer that is starting to
flake out, he has to still try stuff, but since chashavshevet are unwilling
to give any form of support on it anymore he is now really starting to
think he needs to replace it...

IIRC I may have gotten it working on dosbox years ago just as a testcase to
move him to linux but at the time he didn't want to rock the boat, now I
would have to see if I can duplicate that again, but that still doesn't
solve the problem if it's chashavshevet and not the computer.

I would love to use a desktop application instead of a website but I can
imagine that unless some body wants to release signed versions of gnucash
that sign the files to guarantee they were only used in the approved builds
ITA won't like it....

Though I'm sure people like Ori who have interacted with ITA and know what
they demand can shed more light on that side then me...

Regards,
Eliyahu - אליהו