Greetings'

I have an Android/Linux related question here. I hope I am not out of line
in this request for help.

My son purchased an Android phone in China (against my recommendation).
It's a phone by Coolpad the module is 7620l
Apparently the Android installation for Chinese is different than what we
are used to get in "Western countries". No Google account, no Google play
store and it seems that all network activities went through China (for
inspection?, really slow on network activity).
It took me a while to find English Rom for it and then some time to root it
(temporarily - will explain later).
Now I got Google account and other "Western" stuff but still:
1. Root is removed after reboot
2. Google play services crashes and so does the address book sync operation.

Looking at the article: http://elinux.org/Android_Booting
my questions:
1. Any idea where I can find strace for Android (based on Arm CPU)
2. Can I go into "Console mode" ? In case I fiddle with init*.rc scripts
and break the OS (for manual recovery of those scripts).
3. The su command (and copies of it that had SUID bit set on it) were
deleted during boot. Any idea what could have done that?
4. Any idea what cold make the google play services get killed every time?

Thanks
David Harel
Amuka