On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 12:25:21 +0300
Dimid Duchovny <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rabin,
>

> I'm far from being a linux expert, but isn't dependency between
> services handled by systemd?
> E.g. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/Timers

If you drive on that side of the road :-)

More seriously, I think you're intermixing these systemd timers and
systemd's (sort of) ability to delay running long running daemon B
until daemon A, which it depends on, is running.

But the OP's needs were much greater. Apparently he couldn't depend on
any of consecutively run programs to conclude in a certain amount of
time, and if he grants each one a crazy long amount of time, it would
exceed 24 hours. What's needed is for each process to provide some clue
that it's finished. Assuming its output files are those clues, Omer's
right: make could be used to not only do the job, but add some
parallellization so that if two processes' input is each complete,
those two processes can be run in tandem.

It's brilliant.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2018 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28