Thanks, but in that post, the sound stopped working completely. In my
case, it goes off at random intervals. Also in that post, the problem
turned out to be the alsamixer settings.

As I wrote, I do have a work around with pactl set-card-profile, but
it's just annoying not to know what the root problem is.