On Thursday, 10 December 2020 9:02:48 IST Shlomo Solomon wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 08:55:42 +0200
> borissh1...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I think you're right, but I have no idea how to fix it, or why it was
> not setup automatically. As I wrote earlier, in the LiveDVD I had sound.

I hope that would be ok to ask, these questions are just for the debugging
steps . I understand you may have done them already but I do not know the
answers yet.

Would you mind checking if it does happen to a brand new unix user ?  sometimes
we modify our config files in home dir (and sometimes there would be software
that would that behind our back) .

Would it be possible to give us the output of  pacmd list-cards - these will
provide us the list of cards pulse audio sees ("hardware").

Check if any program holds the sound cards : fuser -v /dev/snd/*

Do you have timtidy installed ? if so can you try removing it and restarting
the server and see if that unblock you ? timtidy is known to have issues with
pulseaudio in debian , so there could be a similar problem with Ubuntu.

Do you use fluidsynth ? can you try removing it ?

Can you open the Pulse Audio control box , go to output devices and there check
if you have your analog output , if it is there try to set it's port. If there
are no hardware devices listed there (we would also know that based on the
command of pacmd list-cards) we would need to check why it's missing and how we
can add it.

Have you configured manually pulse audio config (/etc/pulse/default.pa ,
/etc/pulse/daemon.conf)   ?

Do you have the same pulseaudio packages installed - you can compare lists on
the existing OS and the live machine if both are running the same OS (you can
using dpkg --get-selections | grep pulse | grep -vvv deinstall | cut -f1 to get
the list on both sides).

For your debugging you can try running : pulseaudio -k; pulseaudio -vvvvv