> I like to know what is needed to work on a default installation on
> RedHat8. Does root need to do some thing before normal user can start
> working. Is there some default user or database created.
>
> I know this may reply in "google first". I did, but could not get
> good link anyhow. May be my bad luck :-(

Check out the docs provided by postgres..It should be in
/usr/share/doc/postgresql-x-x, if you have installed the proper rpm...
Its very much comprehensive and should get you started with almost
everything...

Read the section on the privilige system..and after reading you know
know how to edit pg_hba.conf file to allow user based on passwords..

You need to create a new database to work on..Postgres does have some
database called template0 and template1..but this databases for internal
use by the postgres system to maintain its system tables.

postgres is the default user..you can create new users, database using
createuser, createdb binaries...Or issuing sql commands thru the psql
client interface.

--
G.Vinubalaji

 MultiTech (())