On 5/30/07, Matthew Garrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 10:18:17AM -0400, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
> >We've already got KEY_PROG* - is this not the sort of situation they're
> >for? (ie, keys that aren't mapped to a specific purpose but would be
> >potentially useful to userspace at the per-user level)
> >

> Right. These are they keys "we have no idea how to use these, leave it
> to the user". Do we really need more of these? We have quite a few
> codes that might be useful. I just don't want to keep adding a new
> input keycode every time we encounter an unmarked key somewhere.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I was thinking that they should just be used for
this case, rather than that more of them be added.

Ah, OK.

> >Changing the keymap is a privileged operation, so sending /some/ sort of
> >keycode by default would probably be good.
> >

> It's up to the security policy on a particular box. One could change
> /dev/input/evdev ownership to the user currently logged on physical
> console.

Most users will be logged into X, so it's the X keymap that's the most
interesting one. X tools know how to remap the X keymap without
requiring any sort of special privileges, so all we need is for the
keycode to generate /something/. I think KEY_PROG* would make the most
sense, and that's what we've adopted in Ubuntu.

Not all world is X :)  Actually few of "FN" keys, like KEY_WLAN,
KEY_SLEEP, etc should be handled not [only] by X but by other layers.

--
Dmitry