I had a similar problem and it was quite maddening.  I my case it
couldn't resolve fstat.  The answer in my case and likely in yours, is
that you have invoked the "ld" loader explicitly instead of frontending
it with gcc.  If you replace ld with gcc -shared in the make where you
build your shared library, then links against that library will not get
the "Nonrepresentable section on output " as a result of including
modules from non-shared libraries (.a archives).
wcn

    Hi,

    I'm running through the Karma-HOWTO at the moment - I'd like to get my
    Karma auto-mounting and visibile to Banshee by the end of the weekend if
    I can :)

    I think I'm going to have some good feedback for the HOWTO - I'll
    suggest some changes once I have everything working. In the meantime, I
    can't get libkarma 0.0.5 to compile, using jam, on Ubuntu Egdy Eft - I
    see the following the output below.

    I've search for the libc_nonshared.a message and seen a few hits related
    to GCC 4.1 - I'm using GCC 4.1.2 - so I guess that's one problem. If
    anyone has a work-around that'd be good.

    I think the skipping of targets must be a different problem though - any
    help there?

    BTW - I'm using jam because I see "karma_helper.c:5:17: error: usb.h: No
    such file or directory" when I try to run make and I've no idea which
    package provides usb.h - perhaps that should go into the HOWTO...?
    Besides, I'd prefer to build shared libs instead of
    statically-linked ones.

    Help with this stuff would be greatly appreciated - Ethernet and Java
    for my Karma is such a rubbish solution!

    Cheers,

    Richard.

    Here's my output from jam:

    Cc tools/chprop.o
    Link tools/chprop
    /usr/bin/ld: tools/chprop: hidden symbol `__stack_chk_fail_local' in
    /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a(stack_chk_fail_local.oS) is referenced by DSO
    /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

    cc -lz -lkarma -L./obj -lFLAC -lvorbisfile -o tools/chprop
    tools/chprop.o

    ...failed Link tools/chprop ...
    Cc tools/playlist_show.o
    Link tools/playlist_show
    /usr/bin/ld: tools/playlist_show: hidden symbol `__stack_chk_fail_local'
    in /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a(stack_chk_fail_local.oS) is referenced
    by DSO
    /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

    cc -lz -lkarma -L./obj -lFLAC -lvorbisfile -o tools/playlist_show
    tools/playlist_show.o

    ...failed Link tools/playlist_show ...
    Cc tools/riocp.o
    ...skipped <tools>rio_rw.o for lack of <tools>rio_rw.c...
    ...skipped <tools>wav.o for lack of <tools>wav.c...
    ...skipped <tools>mp3.o for lack of <tools>mp3.c...
    ...skipped riocp for lack of <tools>rio_rw.o...
    ArchiveStaticLib obj/libkarma.a
    ar: creating libkarma.a
    Ranlib obj/libkarma.a
    ...failed updating 2 target(s)...
    ...skipped 4 target(s)...
    ...updated 17 target(s)...
    - --
    "Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

          Re: Distro-specific Howto?
          From: Bob Copeland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - 2006-11-05 20:00
          On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 12:51:56PM +0000, Richard Turner wrote:
          > BTW - I'm using jam because I see "karma_helper.c:5:17:
    error: usb.h: No
          > such file or directory" when I try to run make and I've no
    idea which
          > package provides usb.h - perhaps that should go into the
    HOWTO...?
          > Besides, I'd prefer to build shared libs instead of
    statically-linked ones.

          I'd suggest using the makefiles and installing libusb (that
    provides
          usb.h) -- this is the setup I use on Edgy. Since more people
    tend to
          use make over jam, it's less likely to suffer bitrot. The
    makefiles
          will build shared libraries (though they do statically link
    the binaries
          in the tools directory).

          HTH,
          Bob