After several hours at trial and error and my RHCE Study guide, I managed
to figure out what was wrong.  The RH 6.1 scripts for network startup are
expecting DEVICE to be assigned inside one of the eth-* scripts (formerly
ifcfg-eth*).  Since we were trying to keep away from that to avoid having
to manually config the network cards at each boot (eth0 and eth1 float
around), putting in a DEVICE= in the ifcfg-eth* scripts, I assumed was a
big no-no for what I was trying to accomplish.

I debugged the scripts, found the correct one and found that ifcfg-eth0 and
ifcfg-eth1 (a symb link to ifcfg-eth0) was being passed the $CONFIG
parameter, which had a value of "ifcfg-eth0" when eth0 was being setup (the
name of the script), and "ifcfg-eth1" when eth1 was being setup (and so
on).  I assigned DEVICE= inside your ifcfg-eth* script that you provided
me.

I managed to get my first sed (stream editor) formula written, and here is
what I did:
(added to your script)
# Since DEVICE is defined in here, we must define it based on what is
# passed for starting this script (ifup uses CONFIG which for eth0 is
# ifcfg-eth0):
DEVICE=`echo $CONFIG | sed -ne 's/.*ifcfg-/\1/p'`

This, in effect, takes the CONFIG parameter (value of "ifcfg-eth0") and
makes it "eth0" assigning that to DEVICE.

I also changed your last statement, since reboots were not reassigning the
tmp files you originally defined (/var/tmp/eth-docking, and so on) because
the test was checking for a zero length file, at shutdown, there was no
deletion of these tmp files if I undocked my Latitude (I could have put it
in a shutdown script I guess).

Therefore I changed:
    [ -n "$USERDEVICENAME" ] && echo $DEVICE > /var/tmp/$USERDEVICENAME
    echo $DEVICE > /var/tmp/$USERDEVICENAME

Which makes the /var/tmp/eth-docking or /var/tmp/eth-pcmcia get written
each time the system is booted.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I'm providing these changes
to the audience in the event there is another like me trying to get docking
and undocking profiles to work in RedHat.

-=>Jim Roland

"Never settle with words what you can settle with a flamethrower."
        --Anonymous

-