I have a Gateway Solo 9100 with an LS-120/floppy disk drive, and I don't
think I ever managed to boot linux from the floppy drive.  Granted, I
didn't try very hard to create a custom kernel/boot floppy -- I think
I just ended up booting from my Win98 partition and installing that
way.  The problem, it turns out (which I discovered only after I
got linux installed some other way), was that the LS-120 drive shows
up as /dev/hdd (or some other ide (hard drive) device), not as /dev/fd0.
So whenever I tried to boot from the floppy, LILO would try to
load the kernel from /dev/fd0 somewhere, which didn't exist, since
once the driver for the LS-120 disk drive loaded, it became /dev/hdd.

As I said, I think I just ended up booting the kernel from my Win98
partition (zipflop or something like that), and skipping the floppy
drive altogether.  Of course, if I'd known that that drive ends up
being /dev/hdd (or some other ide/hard drive device), I might have
had better luck creating a custom boot floppy.  I also seem to remember
that the LS-120 drive was detected automatically, I didn't really
need any special drivers.  (But I installed this laptop over a year
ago, with RH6.0, I think.)

Hope this helps!

Scott