kilg...@banach.math.auburn.edu wrote:

<huge snip>

Therefore,

1. Everyone seems to agree that the kernel module itself is not going to do things like rotate or flip data even if a given supported device always needs that done.

However, this decision has a consequence:

2. Therefore, the module must send the information about what is needed out of the module, to whatever place is going to deal with it. Information which is known to the module but unknown anywere else must be transmitted somehow.

Now there is a further consequence:

3. In view of (1) and (2) there has to be a way agreed upon for the module to pass the relevant information onward.

It is precisely on item 3 that we are stuck right now. There is an immediate need, not a theoretical need but an immediate need. However, there is no agreed-upon method or convention for communication.

We are no longer stuck here, the general agreement is adding 2 new buffer flags, one to indicate the driver knows the data in the buffer is vflipped and one for hflip. Then we can handle v-flipped, h-flipped and 180 degrees cameras

This is agreed up on, Trent is arguing we may need more flags in the future, but that is something for the future, all we need know is these 2 flags and Hans Verkuil who AFAIK was the only one objecting to doing this with buffer flags has agreed this is the best solution.

So Adam, kilgota, please ignore the rest of this thread and move forward with the driver, just add the necessary buffer flags to videodev2.h as part of your patch (It is usually to submit new API stuff with the same patch which introduces the first users of this API.

I welcome libv4l patches to use these flags.