On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 08:51 +0200, ext Hans Verkuil wrote:

> I recommend that you move the RDS decoder code into an rds library in the
> v4l2-apps directory of the v4l-dvb tree. As you say, the rds decoder
> implementation does not belong in the driver, but it would be very nice to
> have it as a library.

Quick question, is there a RDS decoder library already out there?
Or would it be the case it needs to be done from the scratch?

> Such region tables do not belong in a driver IMHO. These too should go to a
> userspace library (libv4l2util? It already contains frequency tables for
> TV).

That's correct. Is there a link to this library?

> A more general comment: this driver should be split into two parts: the
> radio tuner core should really be implemented using the tuner API similar
> to the tea5767 radio tuner driver. That way this radio tuner driver can be
> reused when it is placed on e.g. a TV tuner card. However, the tuner API is
> missing functionality for e.g. RDS. Alternatively, the core driver can be
> rewritten as an v4l2_subdev driver, again allowing reuse in other drivers.

Hmm. This chip is integrated on Bluetooth silicon, so could you please
elaborate how it could be reused with a TV tuner? (Maybe I didn't just
get the point, or if the manufacturer decides to integrate (in the
future) the chip with TV tuner card, or someone wishes to use other
manufacturers' TV tuner, but this radio chip at the same time?)

> I would like to see some input from others on this. I think that it would
> help the integration of v4l and dvb enormously if dvb starts using the
> standard i2c kernel API: that API offers all the functionality that dvb
> needs now that it no longer uses autoprobing. Perhaps a topic for the
> Plumbers conference later this year?

All comments welcome,

- Eero