On 06/05/2009 09:43 AM, Stefan Kost wrote:
Hans de Goede schrieb:

On 06/01/2009 09:58 AM, Trent Piepho wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Stefan Kost wrote:
I have implemented support for V4L2_MEMORY_USERPTR buffers in
gstreamers
v4l2src [1]. This allows to request shared memory buffers from xvideo,
capture into those and therefore save a memcpy. This works great with
the v4l2 driver on our embedded device.

When I was testing this on my desktop, I noticed that almost no driver
seems to support it.
I tested zc0301 and uvcvideo, but also grepped the kernel driver
sources. It seems that gspca might support it, but I ave not confirmed
it. Is there a technical reason for it, or is it simply not
implemented?
userptr support is relatively new and so it has less support, especially
with driver that pre-date it.  Maybe USB cams use a compressed format
and
so userptr with xvideo would not work anyway since xv won't support the
camera's native format.  It certainly could be done for bt8xx, cx88,
saa7134, etc.
Even in the webcam with custom compressed format case, userptr support
could
be useful to safe a memcpy, as libv4l currently fakes mmap buffers, so
what
happens  is:

cam>direct transfer>  mmap buffer>libv4l format conversion>  fake mmap
buffer
application-memcpy>  dest buffer
So if libv4l would support userptr's (which it currently does not do) we
could still safe a memcpy here.
Do you mean that if a driver supports userptr and one uses libv4l
instead of the direct ioctl, there is a regression and the app iuppo
getting told only mmap works?

Yes, this was done this way for simplicity's sake (libv4l2 is complex
enough at is). At the time this decision was made it was an easy one to
make as userptr support mostly was (and I believe still is) a paper
excercise. Iow no applications and almost no drivers support it. If
more applications start supporting it, support can and should be
added to libv4l2. But this will be tricky.

For higher pixels counts extra memcpy's
are scary, especially if they are no visible. Sorry for the naive
question, but what is libv4l role regarding buffer allocations?

In ourcase we don't need any extra format conversion from libv4l. I am
fine if it works without extra memcpy in that case and I understand that
it would be tricky to support inplace formats conversions for some
formats and extra memcpy for the rest.
I would be willing to take *clean, non invasive* patches to libv4l to add
userptr support, but I'm not sure if this can be done in a clean way
(haven't
tried).
Where are the libv4l sources hosted. I found your blog and the freshmeat
page only so far.

The sources are part of the v4l-dvb mercurial tree. But the latest version is in my personal tree, please use that to base patches on:
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~hgoede/libv4l