Am 20.07.2016 um 02:00 schrieb Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mche...@s-opensource.com>:

> Em Tue, 19 Jul 2016 16:49:16 -0600
> Jonathan Corbet <cor...@lwn.net> escreveu:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 11:53:19 -0300
>> Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mche...@s-opensource.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So, I guess we should set the minimal requirement to 1.2.x.
>>
>> *sigh*.
>>
>> I hate to do that; things are happening quickly enough with Sphinx that
>> it would be nice to be able to count on a newer version.  That said, one
>> of my goals in this whole thing was to make it *easier* for developers to
>> generate the docs; the DocBook toolchain has always been notoriously
>> difficult in that regard.  Forcing people to install a newer sphinx by
>> hand is not the way to get there.
>>
>> So I guess we need to make sure things work with 1.2 for now.  I'd hope
>> we could push that to at least 1.3 before too long, though, once the
>> community distributions are there.  I think we can be a *bit* more
>> aggressive with the docs than with the kernel as a whole.
>
> Yeah, that seems to be the right strategy, IMHO. With the patch I sent,
> the media books will again build fine with 1.2.

It is a difficult situation, whatever we do, we will get in trouble. To
handle this, (IMHO) at first we need a reference documentation.

> What we miss is the documentation for Sphinx 1.2 and 1.3 versions. The
> site only has documentation for the very latest version, making harder
> to ensure that we're using only the tags supported by a certain version.

We could build the documentation of the (e.g.) 1.2 tag

https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/tree/1.2

by checkout the tag, cd to "./doc" and run "make html".
I haven't tested yet, but it should work this way.

Jon, what do you think ... could we serve this 1.2 doc
on https://www.kernel.org/doc/ as reference?

And whats about those who have 1.3 (or any version >1.2) as default
in the linux distro? Should they install a virtualenv?  ... it is
a dilemma.

Sorry that I have not identified this earlier ... I'am using python
a long time and for me it is common to set up build processes
with a version decoupled from the OS version, mostly the up to date
version .. thats why I have neglected any version problems :(

-- Markus --