On 12/15/2016 03:39 AM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> [...]
>> to v4l2->ref
>
> That's very, very wrong. The v4l2_device::ref field must *not* be touched by
> drivers. Acquiring and releasing references to v4l2_device instances must be
> done with v4l2_device_get() and v4l2_device_put(), and the structure has a
> release handler that drivers can use. Why do people write such horrible code
> that pokes at private fields ?
>
>> and releases the reference in em28xx_v4l2_close() which is
>> its v4l2_file_operations .release handler. It also makes sure to not
>> touch device hardware if device is disconnected.
>>
>> Also, media graph access is done only when it has a valid media_device.
>> au0828 allocates media_device struct and it gets free'd when it does
>> its unregister sequence. Subsequent calls will check if it is null.
>
> This is very wrong too. Don't try to handle data structures being pulled from
> under the driver's feet at random times. At best you will end up with races.
> Data structures must instead be properly refcounted.
>
>> It also does checks to see if media_device is registered or not in
>> some cases.
>>
>> isp_video_release() isn't safe to be called after isp device is gone,
>> leave alone media_device. Since isp is a devm resource, it is long
>> gone when device_release() release managed resources.
>>
>> I agree with Mauro that this is a driver problem.
>
> No. There *is* a driver problem caused by devm_kzalloc() usage, and that
> problem *must* be fixed, but the media device life time management is also
> completely broken in core code.
>
>> Mauro and I did lot of work to get the USB drivers (em28xx and au0828) to
>> handle disconnect and unbind cases even before the media controller support
>> was added to them.
>>
>> I think what needs to happen is:
>>
>> 1. Remove devm use from omap3
>
> Absolutely.
>
>> 2. Make sure media graph isn't accessed after media_device is unregistered
>
> No way. We need to access the graph from the release handlers of the
> userspace-exposed structures (videodev and possibly media_device). The
> media_device structure must *not* disappear at unregistration time.
>
>> 3. Take reference to v4l2 device to be able to make sanity checks from
>>    isp_video_release() to determine if media_device is still around and
>>    then do stop stream etc. It has to keep state.
>>
>> I agree with Mauro that this is a driver problem. Mauro and I did lot
>> of work to get the USB drivers (em28xx and au0828) to handle disconnect
>> and unbind cases even before the media controller support was added to
>> them.
>>
>> Please don't pursue this RFC series that makes mc-core changes until
>> ompa3 driver problems are addressed. There is no need to change the
>> core unless it is necessary.
>
> It is necessary as has been explained countless times, and will become more
> and more necessary as media_device instances get shared between multiple
> drivers, which is currently attempted *without* reference counting.

You are probably forgetting the Media Device Allocator API work I did
to make media_device sharable across media and audio drivers. Sakari's
patches don't address the sharable need. I have been asking Sakari to
use Media Device Allocator API in his patch series for allocating media
device.

I discussed the conflicts between the work I am doing and Sakari's series
to find a common ground. But it doesn't look like we are going to get there.

thanks,
-- Shuah