Hi Sakari,

On Thursday, 20 September 2018 23:56:59 EEST Sakari Ailus wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 05:51:55PM +0900, Tomasz Figa wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 4:08 PM Ping-chung Chen wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > > +
> > > +/* Digital gain control */
> > > +#define IMX208_REG_GR_DIGITAL_GAIN     0x020e
> > > +#define IMX208_REG_R_DIGITAL_GAIN      0x0210
> > > +#define IMX208_REG_B_DIGITAL_GAIN      0x0212
> > > +#define IMX208_REG_GB_DIGITAL_GAIN     0x0214
> > > +#define IMX208_DGTL_GAIN_MIN           0
> > > +#define IMX208_DGTL_GAIN_MAX           4096
> > > +#define IMX208_DGTL_GAIN_DEFAULT       0x100
> > > +#define IMX208_DGTL_GAIN_STEP           1
> > > +
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > +/* Initialize control handlers */
> > > +static int imx208_init_controls(struct imx208 *imx208)
> > > +{
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > +       v4l2_ctrl_new_std(ctrl_hdlr, &imx208_ctrl_ops,
> > > V4L2_CID_DIGITAL_GAIN, +                         IMX208_DGTL_GAIN_MIN,
> > > IMX208_DGTL_GAIN_MAX, +                         IMX208_DGTL_GAIN_STEP,
> > > +                         IMX208_DGTL_GAIN_DEFAULT);
> >
> > We have a problem here. The sensor supports only a discrete range of
> > values here - {1, 2, 4, 8, 16} (multiplied by 256, since the value is
> > fixed point). This makes it possible for the userspace to set values
> > that are not allowed by the sensor specification and also leaves no
> > way to enumerate the supported values.
> >
> > I can see two solutions here:
> >
> > 1) Define the control range from 0 to 4 and treat it as an exponent of
> > 2, so that the value for the sensor becomes (1 << val) * 256.
> > (Suggested by Sakari offline.)
> >
> > This approach has the problem of losing the original unit (and scale)
> > of the value.
>
> I'd like to add that this is not a property of the proposed solution.
>
> Rather, the above needs to be accompanied by additional information
> provided through VIDIOC_QUERY_EXT_CTRL, i.e. the unit, prefix as well as
> other information such as whether the control is linear or exponential (as
> in this case).
>
> > 2) Use an integer menu control, which reports only the supported
> > discrete values - {1, 2, 4, 8, 16}.
> >
> > With this approach, userspace can enumerate the real gain values, but
> > we would either need to introduce a new control (e.g.
> > V4L2_CID_DIGITAL_GAIN_DISCRETE) or abuse the specification and
> > register V4L2_CID_DIGITAL_GAIN as an integer menu.
>
> New controls in V4L2 are, for the most part, created when there's something
> new to control. The documentation of some controls (similar to e.g. gain)
> documents a unit as well as a prefix but that's the case only because
> there's been no way to tell the unit or prefix otherwise in the API.
>
> An exception to this are EXPOSURE and EXPOSURE_ABSOLUTE. I'm not entirely
> sure how they came to be though. An accident is a possibility as far as I
> see.

If I remember correctly I introduced the absolute variant for the UVC driver
(even though git blame points to Brandon Philips). I don't really remember why
though.

> Controls that have a documented unit use that unit --- as long as that's
> the unit used by the hardware. If it's not, it tends to be that another
> unit is used but the user space has currently no way of knowing this. And
> the digital gain control is no exception to this.
>
> So if we want to improve the user space's ability to be informed how the
> control values reflect to device configuration, we do need to provide more
> information to the user space. One way to do that would be through
> VIDIOC_QUERY_EXT_CTRL. The IOCTL struct has plenty of reserved fields ---
> just for purposes such as this one.

I don't think we can come up with a good way to expose arbitrary mathematical
formulas through an ioctl. In my opinion the question is how far we want to
go, how precise we need to be.

> > Any opinions or better ideas?

Laurent Pinchart