On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 5:36 PM Josh Boyer <jwbo...@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:27 AM Maxime Jourdan <mjour...@baylibre.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Below is a pull request to add the firmwares required by the Amlogic video
> > decoder.
> >
> > The firmwares were dumped from GPLv2+ in-kernel source files from Amlogic's
> > vendor kernel, in their buildroot package
> > "buildroot_openlinux_kernel_4.9_wayland_20180316"
> >
> > You can find an example of such a file in an older kernel here:
> > https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/blob/odroidc2-3.14.y/drivers/amlogic/amports/arch/ucode/mpeg12/vmpeg12_mc.c
> >
> > The corresponding driver is currently being upstreamed:
> > https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/cover/993093/
> >
> > Regards,
> > Maxime
> >
> > The following changes since commit 7c81f23ad903f72e87e2102d8f52408305c0f7a2:
> >
> >   ti-connectivity: add firmware for CC2560(A) Bluetooth (2018-10-01
> > 10:08:30 -0400)
> >
> > are available in the Git repository at:
> >
> >   https://github.com/Elyotna/linux-firmware.git
>
> This seems questionable to me.  You have the license listed as GPLv2
> or later, which is what the header file originally had but you have no
> corresponding source included in your commit and it's completely
> unclear who would be fulfilling the GPL obligations around this.  Even
> less clear is how one would take whatever source is provided and turn
> them back into the binaries you've provided.  Have you contacted AM
> Logic to see if they can post the firmware files themselves or confirm
> the license should be GPLv2?
>
> josh

Hi Josh,

I see your point. The "source" files that are GPLv2+ in the vendor
kernel only contain binary arrays, and there is no actual source code
available for these firmwares. I had hoped this would at least mean we
could redistribute the binary firmwares.

I will contact Amlogic and (hopefully) follow up with clarified
licensing regarding the firmwares.

Regards,
Maxime