Should be fixed by https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/52641/

> KASAN: use-after-free Read in wake_up_if_idle
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/syzkaller-bugs/aBWb_yV1kiI/sWQO63fkCQAJ
>
> KASAN: use-after-free Read in __vb2_perform_fileio
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/syzkaller-bugs/MdFCZHz0LUQ/qSK_bFbcCQAJ
>
> INFO: task hung in vivid_stop_generating_vid_cap
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/syzkaller-bugs/F_KFW6PVyTA/wTBeHLfTCQAJ
>
> KASAN: null-ptr-deref Write in kthread_stop
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/syzkaller-bugs/u0AGnYvSlf4/fUiyfA_TCQAJ

These last two should be fixed by https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/52640/

Haven't figured out the others yet (hope to get back to that next week).

> Based on this I think if we put more effort into media fuzzing, it
> will be able to find dozens more.

Yeah, this is good stuff. Thank you for setting this up.

> syzkaller needs descriptions of kernel interfaces to efficiently cover
> a subsystem. For example, see:
> https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/sys/linux/uinput.txt
> Hopefully you can read it without much explanation, it basically
> states that there is that node in /dev and here are ioctls and other
> syscalls that are relevant for this device and here are types of
> arguments and layout of involved data structures.
>
> Turned we actually have such descriptions for /dev/video* and
> /dev/v4l-subdev*:
> https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/sys/linux/video4linux.txt
> But we don't have anything for /dev/media*, fuzzer merely knows that
> it can open the device:
> https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/12b38f22c18c6109a5cc1c0238d015eef121b9b7/sys/linux/sys.txt#L479
> and then it will just blindly execute completely random workload on
> it, e.g. most likely it won't be able to come up with a proper complex
> structure layout for some ioctls. And I am actually not completely
> sure about completeness and coverage of video4linux.txt descriptions
> too as they were contributed by somebody interested in android
> testing.

A quick look suggests that it is based on the 4.9 videodev2.h, which ain't
too bad. There are some differences between the 4.20 videodev2.h and the
4.9, but not too many.

> I wonder if somebody knowledgeable in /dev/media interface be willing
> to contribute additional descriptions?

We'll have to wait for 4.20-rc1 to be released since there are important
additions to the media API. I can probably come up with something, I'm
just not sure when I get around to it. Ping me in three weeks time if you
haven't heard from me.

> We also have code coverage reports with the coverage fuzzer achieved
> so far. Here in the Cover column:
> https://syzkaller.appspot.com/#managers
> e.g. this one (but note this is a ~80MB html file):
> https://storage.googleapis.com/syzkaller/cover/ci-upstream-kasan-gce-root.html
> This can be used to assess e.g. v4l coverage. But I don't know what's
> coverable in general from syscalls and what's coverable via the stub
> drivers in particular. So some expertise from media developers would
> be helpful too.

The four virtual drivers should give pretty decent coverage of the core
code. Are you able to test with a 32-bit syzkaller application on a 64-bit
kernel as well? That way the compat32 code is tested.

> Do I understand it correctly that when a process opens /dev/video* or
> /dev/media* it gets a private instance of the device? In particular,
> if several processes test this in parallel, will they collide? Or they
> will stress separate objects?

It actually depends on the driver. M2M devices will give you a private
instance whenever you open it. Others do not, but you can call most ioctls
in parallel. But after calling REQBUFS or CREATE_BUFS the filehandle that
called those ioctls becomes owner of the device until the buffers are
released. So other filehandles cannot do any streaming operations (EBUSY
will be returned).

> You also mentioned that one of the devices requires some complex setup
> via configfs. Is this interface described somewhere? Do you think it's
> more profitable to pre-setup some fixed configuration for each test
> process? Or just give the setup interface to fuzzer and let it do
> random setup? Or both?

That's the vimc driver, but the configfs code isn't in yet.