Em 17-10-2010 14:29, Mauro Carvalho Chehab escreveu:
> I received some comments from some developers that wanted to test their
> drivers
> with the latest -stable kernel. After thinking for a while, I decided to do
> a small test, packaging the current build system into a separate tree, without
> any drivers, and providing a way to allow using it with the latest driver.
>
> I added it at:
>       http://git.linuxtv.org/mchehab/new_build.git
>
> The current version is very raw, but people are free to send patches to
> improve it.
>
> Usage:
>
> git clone git://linuxtv.org/mchehab/new_build.git
> cd new_build/linux
> make tar DIR=<some dir with media -git tree>
> make untar
> cd ..
>
> After that, it will work like the old -hg build system.
>
> Notes:
>
> 1) There's not much compat stuff here. So, it will likely not work with
>    legacy kernels. It will probably be fine to use it with the latest stable
>    kernel, although I tested it only with 2.6.36-rc7.
>
> 2) For now, this is just an experience. I don't intend to maintain any
>    out-of-tree building system, due to my lack of time for it. If this
> interests
>    someone, feel free to candidate to maintain it.
>
> 3) It shouldn't be hard to support legacy kernels. All that it is needed is
>    to have patches adding backports that don't fit at compat.h, and let the
>    building system to apply them, depending on the kernel version.
>
> If someone manifests interests on maintaining it, we probably may have some
> script at linuxtv.org, generating daily tarballs with the latest drivers, to
> be used by this build system.

I added several patches today to the new experimental building system, and added
a script at linuxtv.org to auto-generate a tarball with the latest drivers.

Basically, with the patches I made, it is compiling fine with the following
kernel
releases (vanilla upstream kernels):
        linux-2.6.32.24
        linux-2.6.33.7
        linux-2.6.34.7
        linux-2.6.35.7
        linux-2.6.36

(e. g. the latest stable releases from 2.6.32 to 2.6.36).

The 2.6.32 backport also compiled fine with the experimental RHEL6 kernel I
have on
my machine.

WARNING: I just test compilation. There are some random warnings generated with
some
of those kernels that may or may not indicate a problem.

If you want to test the new building system, all you need to do is:

        $ git clone git://linuxtv.org/mchehab/new_build.git
        $ cd new_build
        $ ./build.sh

This will download the newest tarball from linuxtv.org, apply the backport
patches
and build it.

After that, you may install the new drivers with:
        $ make install

The building system is the same as we had on the mercurial tree, but I didn't
test the
other targets (well, except for make release DIR=<dir> - it is also working
fine).
Yet, I think that the other make targets should be working properly.

Patches (and a maintainer) are welcome.

Have fun!
Mauro.