Hello Teresa

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011, Teresa Gamez wrote:

> Hello Guennadi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 13.07.2011, 09:14 +0200 schrieb Guennadi Liakhovetski:
> > On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, LBM wrote:
> >
> > > my dear Guennadi
> > >      I'm wrong about that "v4l2-int-device",maybe it just "V4L2".
> > >        Now i have a board of OMAP3530 and a cmos camera MT9M111,so i want
> > > to get the image from the mt9m111.
> > >  and ,I want to use the V4L2 API. But in the linux kernel 2.6.38,the
> > > driver of the mt9m111 is  a soc_camera.I see some thing about how to
> > > convert the soc_camera to V4L2,like "soc-camera: (partially) convert to
> > > v4l2-(sub)dev API".
> > >       Can you tell me how to migrate from soc_camera to v4l2,and
> > >      or do you tell me some experience about that?
> >
> > Currently there's no standard way to make a driver to work with both
> > soc-camera and (pure) v4l2-subdev APIs. It is being worked on:
> >
> > http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg34878.html
> >
> > and, hopefully, beginning with the next kernel version 3.1 it will become
> > at least theoretically possible. For now you just have to hack the driver
> > yourself for your local uses by removing all soc-camera specific code and
> > replacing it with your own glue, something along these lines:
>
> We are also interested in the support of the MT9M111 and MT9V022 for
> OMAP-4460/OMAP-4430/OMAP-3525.
> I have not taken a deeper look at it yet. But what do you mean by
> theoretically possible?

By this I mean, that most important APIs, required for a "proper"
conversion, suitable for the mainline, should be in place by then.
Although there still might be one thing, preventing this: controls.
Unfortunately, it looks like Hans haven't found the time yet to submit a
new version of his soc-camera conversion to the new v4l2 control
framework, and even if he did, it would be very difficult for me ATM to
find time to review, merge and push it. So, I'm not sure if it would be
possible to do a proper conversion without that, maybe not, then we'd
have to work on controls conversion too.

> Could it work out of the box? Or is there more work to do?

No, first the APIs have to be made compatible, then individual drivers
have to be converted one by one.

Thanks
Guennadi

> Regards,
> Teresa
>
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/11486/focus=11691
> >
> > Thanks
> > Guennadi
> > ---
> > Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
> > Freelance Open-Source Software Developer
> > http://www.open-technology.de/
> > --

---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.