Jarod Wilson <ja...@wilsonet.com> wrote:

>On Aug 14, 2011, at 11:50 AM, Harald Gustafsson wrote:
>
>> Thanks for sharing your experience.
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Lawrence Rust
><l...@softsystem.co.uk> wrote:
>>> The stock v4l sources supplied are old (from around 2.6.35) and
>don't
>>> contain many current fixes.  This isn't a problem per-se unless you
>>> intend to use the card with another v4l card.  In this case your
>brand
>>> new, bug fixed drivers are replaced by TBS's version which may or,
>as in
>>> my case, may not work.
>> I have 2 other older cards that I intend to use it with, but
>currently
>> I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS which have a 2.6.32 kernel, so this would
>> not be a problem, but later when I upgrade to 12.04 LTS and a newer
>> kernel this will be problematic. Since I can't trust that TBS will
>> deliver newer drivers.
>>
>>> I repeatedly mailed TBS support at supp...@tbsdtv.com to ask how I
>could
>>> only install the 6981 driver but never got an answer.  In
>desperation I
>>> setup a git tree of 2.6.35 and merged it with the TBS drivers in
>order
>>> to separate their changes.  Finally after many hours I have a set of
>>> patches that I can apply to 2.6.39 that produce a working driver.
>> Is it possible to mix modules based on different versions of v4l? To
>> me that looks like it will work as long as the core infrastructure is
>> the same, but as soon as some common data structure that is used by
>> the obj files is changed it will break and you might not notice
>> directly. Just as you say with the IR changes, but also more subtle
>> changes by adding/removing elements in structures.
>>
>>> Be warned that if you run a 2.6.38 or later kernel then the IR RC
>won't
>>> work because of significant changes to the RC architecture that TBS
>>> don't like (see http://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=929
>and
>>> http://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=110&start=90#p2693
>)
>>
>> In the links you refer to the driver author (at least he seems to be
>> the author) states that he has not upgraded to the latest IR code due
>> to compatibility issues between the CX23885 and IR.
>
>Someone please inform TBS that it would nice if they'd actually report
>issues upstream. Nobody from TBS every said boo about their issues,
>which, I'm 99% certain, have *absolutely* nothing to do with supposedly
>rewriting ir-core to rc-core. (It was a transition to a new name of the
>same code). This probably fixed all their issues:
>
>http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=d7515b8866b60c9526d2d7af37ebcd16c3c5ed97
>
>Similarly, just booting with pci=nomsi on an unpatched kernel should
>achieve the same effect. Sigh.
>
>--
> [...]

Jarod,

Well that might not solve the problem for genuine CX23885 chips in
non-Hauppauge designs.  Long before the patch that enabled MSI in the cx23885
driver, Igor had an unclearable IR interrupt with his TeVii S470 that I could
never figure out.

(Reliably clearing the interrupt from the I2C connected Mako A/V core on  those
chips is a real pain without detailed engineering data on the chip and the
board.)

I've never had a problem with the IR interrupt on CX23888 based boards with MSI
disabled though.

Regards,
Andy