On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 09:01:15AM +0000, Bastian Hecht wrote:
> 2011/9/6 Sakari Ailus <sakari.ai...@iki.fi>:
> > On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 07:56:40AM +0000, Bastian Hecht wrote:
> >> Hello Sakari!
> >
> > Hi Bastian,

> >> Hmm. Maybe I named them a bit unsharp. It is the U Saturation and V
> >> Saturation. To me it looks like turning up the saturation in HSV
> >> space, but only for either the blue or the red channel. This would
> >> correspond to V4L2_CID_{RED,BLUE}_BALANCE when I read the docs. They
> >> say it is "{Red,Blue} chroma balance".
> >>
> >> I have other controls for that I used V4L2_CID_{RED,BLUE}_BALANCE.
> >> These are gains. So in fact I should swap them in my code and the
> >> remaining question is, how to name the red and blue gain controls.
> >
> > I think Laurent had a similar issue in his Aptina sensor driver. In my
> > opinion we need a class for low level controls such as the gain ones. Do I
> > understand correctly they control the red and blue pixel gain in the sensor
> > pixel matrix? Do you also have gain controls for the two greens?
>
> Yes, I assume that this is done there. Either in the analog circuit by
> decreasing the preload or digitally then. Don't know exactly. There
> are registers for the green pixels as well. As I used the
> V4L2_CID_{RED,BLUE}_BALANCE controls and there was no
> V4L2_CID_GREEN_BALANCE, I just skipped green as one can
> increase/decrease the global gain and get an arbitrary mix as well.
>
> So for these gain settings we should add these?
> V4L2_CID_RED_GAIN
> V4L2_CID_BLUE_GAIN
> V4L2_CID_GREEN_GAIN

Do you have two or just one green gains? In all sensors I've seen there are
two.

I think I could send an RFC on this to the list and cc you and Laurent.

> >> Oh great! So I just take this.

> >> When I read the the possible enums for V4L2_CID_COLORFX, it indeed
> >> sounds very much like my solarize effect should be added there too. I
> >> found V4L2_COLORFX_BW there, too. Isn't that a duplicate of the color
> >> killer control then?
> >
> > In my opinion V4L2_CID_COLORFX should never be implemented in drivers for
> > which the hardware doesn't implement these effects in a non-parametrisable
> > way. This control was originally added for the OMAP 3 ISP driver but the
> > driver never implemented it.
>
> Your triple negation (never, doesn't, non-) is quite tricky xD
> If I get it right, you say that one should not use V4L2_CID_COLORFX
> for hardware with parametrisable effects.

Yes. I could have written that in a more clear way. ;-)

> My BW and Solarize effects are non-parametrisable and they can be
> turned on together (which makes not so much sense though - but these
> fun-effects like "solarize" aren't here to make sense, I guess :-) ).

Good.

The OMAP 3 ISP actually provides a way to set gamma tables, any effects
implemented using them are more or less use case specific. There are also
other uses for those same gamma tables, making a driver implementation for
effects using them non-functional in practice.

> > I think you have a valid case using this control. I think the main
> > difference between the two is that V4L2_COLORFX_BW is something that you
> > can't use with other effects while V4L2_CID_COLOR_KILLER can be used with
> > any of the effects.
>
> > Based on your original proposal the black/white should stay as a separate
> > control but the solarise should be configurable through V4L2_CID_COLORFX
> > menu control. So it boils down to the question whether you can use them at
> > the same time.
>
> I can - so it is still working to enable V4L2_COLORFX_BW and
> V4L2_CID_COLORFX with a new enum value, right? Is that the way to go
> now?

That's my opinion, yes.

--
Sakari Ailus