Hi Laurent,

Laurent Pinchart wrote:

>>> How is the embedded data transferred from the sensor to the host in your
>>> case ? Over I2C ?
>>
>> It's transferred over MIPI-CSI2 bus and is intercepted by the MIPI-CSI2
>> receiver, before the image data DMA. The MIPI-CSI2 doesn't have its own
>> DMA engine. More details can be found in patch 6/6.
>
> As the data is transmitted by the device without any polling from the host,
> shouldn't it just go to a metadata plane in the V4L2 buffer ?

I'd say that if it can be given to the user space separately, a way
should be provided to do that. It's all about timing: software
controlled digital camera depend on that.

Some receivers are also able to put such metadata into a separate memory
area using DMA, such as the OMAP 3 ISP CCP-2 receiver.

Cheers,

--
Sakari Ailus
sakari.ai...@iki.fi