Hi All,

I'm trying to fulfil following requirements with V4L2 API that are specific
to most of Samsung camera sensors with embedded SoC ISP and also for local
SoC camera ISPs:

 - separate pixel format and pixel resolution needs to be configured
   in a device for camera preview and capture;

 - there is a need to set capture or preview mode in a device explicitly
   as it makes various adjustments (in firmware) in each operation mode
   and controls external devices accordingly (e.g. camera Flash);

 - some devices have more than two use case specific contexts that a user
   needs to choose from, e.g. video preview, video capture, still preview,
   still capture; for each of these modes there are separate settings,
   especially pixel resolution and others corresponding to existing v4l2
   controls;

 - some devices can have two processing contexts enabled simultaneously,
   e.g. a sensor emitting YUYV and JPEG streams simultaneously (please see
   discussion [1]).

This makes me considering making the v4l2 subdev (and maybe v4l2 controls)
API processing (capture) context aware.

If I remember correctly introducing processing context, as the per file
handle device contexts in case of mem-to-mem devices was considered bad
idea in past discussions. But this was more about v4ll2 video nodes.

And I was considering adding context only to v4l2 subdev API, and possibly
to the (extended) control API. The idea is to extend the subdev (and
controls ?) ioctls so it is possible to preconfigure sets of parameters
on subdevs, while V4L2 video node parameters would be switched "manually"
by applications to match a selected subdevs contest. There would also be
needed an API to select specific context (e.g. a control), or maybe
multiple contexts like in case of a sensor from discussion [1].

I've seen various hacks in some v4l2 drivers trying to fulfil above
requirements, e.g. abusing struct v4l2_mbus_framefmt::colorspace field
to select between capture/preview in a device or using 32-bit integer
control where upper 16-bits are used for pixel width and lower 16 for
pixel height. This may suggest there something missing at the API.

Any suggestions, critics, please ?... :)

Sylwester

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg42707.html