On 09/18/2014 02:50 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
Sorry, I misunderstood this patch.

There are actually two different things, each requiring a different PM
setting:

1) to put the tuner to sleep while it is not in usage;

2) put the machine to suspend.

This patch is for (1). That's FINE. I'll apply it.

Yet, for (2), assuming a suspend to ram, the best is to save more
power.

In the past, the DVB core didn't make any distinction between those
two, but we recently added a hook for suspend there.

So, it makes sense to keep the tuner powerdown mode for suspend.

I think old deep sleep should be used for suspend, whilst on warm state that new is OK.

I2C driver has suspend/resume support and it is one thing I am going to study in near future. Currently I have 128GB SSD and no swap at all, so I cannot test it now. I have already bought 256GB SSD and I am just waiting for Fedora 21 alpha version, which I will install with proper swap. Unfortunately they have delayed many times already Fedora 21 alpha...

I am not even sure if DVB frontend needs any special suspend/resume handling, isn't it possible to use standard kernel PM here? (I already added some initial PM to DVB FE ~2 years ago, but IIRC those will only kill threads and so which are not allowed when suspend).

So is there some reason DVB FE needs suspend/resume hooks?

regards
Antti

--
http://palosaari.fi/