Hi Jean-Marc,

On 01/09/2015 05:38 PM, Jean-Marc VOLLE wrote:
> Hello Hans!
> Best wishes!

You too.

> not get but only found on the mail archive).
> I think (reading the HDMI spec 1.4b) that in fact any of the
> V4L2_FIELD_3D_FRAME_PACK, V4L2_FIELD_3D_SBS_HALF, V4L2_FIELD_3D_TAB
> may all be passed with interlaced or progressive content.
>
> Figure 8-5 3D structure (Side-by-Side (Half) ) states: "For interlaced
> formats, Vactive is number of active lines per field"
>
> p148 also lists primary 3D video format timings that show eg 1920 x 1080i
> @50Hz Side by Side
>
> Since you proposed initially to pass all 3D information in the enum
> v4l2_field I think that at least SbS, TAB and FP shall be duplicated
> with TB or BT attributes or a dedicated 3D only enum would have to be
> created to reused interlaced/progressive information from enum
> v4l2_field. What is your view on this?
> Thanks for your comments.
> JM

A second field just for 3D information is not a good idea for two reasons:

1) The v4l2_buffer struct is very full, and adding another field there should
   only be done if there is no alternative.
2) I think it makes sense to extend v4l2_field: after all it describes how
fields
   are stored in a buffer, and that fits very well with the 3D extension.

In practice the FIELD_INTERLACED, FIELD_SEQ_TB/BT and FIELD_INTERLACED_TB/BT
values
will never be used with 3D formats. Those field values are specific to SDTV.

For the new 3D field values you need to add two sets: one for progressive 3D
(the
equivalent to FIELD_NONE for normal 2D) and one for interlaced 3D (the
equivalent
to FIELD_ALTERNATE for normal 2D).