> On 01/29/2015 03:44 AM, Miguel Casas-Sanchez wrote:
> > Hi folks, I've been trying to add a triplanar format to those that vivid
> > can generate, and didn't quite manage :(
> >
> > So, I tried adding code for it like in the patch (with some dprintk() as
> > well) to clarify what I wanted to do. Module is insmod'ed like "insmod
> > vivid.ko n_devs=1 node_types=0x1 multiplanar=2 vivid_debug=1"
>
> You are confusing something: PIX_FMT_YUV420 is single-planar, not
> multi-planar.
> That is, all image data is contained in one buffer. PIX_FMT_YUV420M is
> multi-planar,
> however. So you need to think which one you actually want to support.
> Another problem is that for the chroma part you need to average the values
> over
> four pixels. So the TPG needs to be aware of the previous line. This makes
> the TPG
> more complicated, and of course it is the reason why I didn't implement 4:2:0
> formats :-)
> I would implement YUV420 first, and (if needed) YUV420M and/or NV12 can
> easily be
> added later.
> Regards,
>         Hans

So, we could call YUV420 (YU12) a tightly packed planar format :)
because it has several planes, rigurously speaking, but they are
laid out back-to-back in memory. Correct?

I was interested here precisely in using the MPLANE API, so I'd
rather go for YUV420M directly; perhaps cheating a bit on the
TPG calculation in the first implementation: I/we could just simplify
the Chroma calculation to grabbing the upper-left pixel value,
ignoring the other three. Not perfect, but for a first patch of a test
device it should do.

WDYT?