Linux-Misc Digest #7, Volume #20                  Sat, 1 May 99 12:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  2+ Gb RAM (Anatoly Belychook)
  Re: Fdisk/df BUG.  What should I do? (Richard RUDEK)
  Re: resizing "growable" partitions (Mark Tranchant)
  Re: Fractals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? (William Adderholdt)
  Re: GNU reeks of Communism (David Kastrup)
  Sound on a Compaq Deskpro EP ("Jim Orfanakos")
  Re: GNU reeks of Communism (Prins Olivier)
  special video card request ("Gunther Huygens")
  Re: Burning playable music CD's (William McBrine)
  Re: removing CEO Eckhard Pfeiffer (William McBrine)
  Re: Microsoft is the Communist!!! (Prins Olivier)
  Re: StarOffice 5.0 (jason)
  FTPing (Paul)
  Re: KDE:something missing!!! (Paul)
  Re: Microsoft is the Communist!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Microsoft is the Communist!!! (Donn Miller)
  Re: Tell me how Linux boots ? (Shimon)
  Re: Linux Sucks as a Java Server, comments??? (Edward Nather)
  How to find amount of Free Disk Space ("Bryan Gaetjens")
  Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Windows (Johan Kullstam)
  Installing Programs (Lian PL)

From: Anatoly Belychook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2+ Gb RAM
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:17:24 +0400

Just pushed second Gb of RAM into the Linux box.
(Actually I considered upgrading it to 4Gb.)
Intel SC450NX, dual Xeon, RedHat 5.2, kernel 2.2.3.

Seems that Linux doesn't bother to utilize more than 1Gb.
Any chance to fix it?

Please help.
--
Anatoly Belychook          Business Console Ltd.         Moscow, Russia
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Business Accounting on UNIX     +7(095)269-0032

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard RUDEK)
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: Fdisk/df BUG.  What should I do?
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 07:20:43 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Stanaway) wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard RUDEK wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Stanaway) wrote:

[snip]

>>OK then,
>>
>>What happens if you mount hdc3 off the root directory ?
>>
>>Are they EXT2 Filesystems ?
>>
>>Are the Filesystems intact ?
>>
>>What capacity is the HDD - 8GB ?
>>
>>What EIDE chipset ?
>>
>>Other EIDE devices ?
>
>Here are some extracts from dmesg:
>
>Linux version 2.2.5 (root@buzz)
>(gcc version egcs-2.91.63 19990224 (egcs-1.1.2 pre-release-3))
>#1 Fri Apr 9 20:17:03 EST 1999
>PIIX3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
>PIIX3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
>    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
>hda: QUANTUM TRB850A, ATA DISK drive
>hdc: IBM-DTTA-350840, ATA DISK drive
>hdd: NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:271, ATAPI CDROM drive
>ide2: ports already in use, skipping probe
>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
>ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
>hda: QUANTUM TRB850A, 810MB w/96kB Cache, CHS=823/32/63, DMA
>hdc: IBM-DTTA-350840, 8063MB w/467kB Cache, CHS=16383/16/63, (U)DMA
>hdd: ATAPI 4X CD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache
>Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.54
>Partition check:
> hda: hda1 hda2
> hdc: [PTBL] [4095/64/63] hdc1 hdc2 hdc3
>VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
>Adding Swap: 51404k swap-space (priority -1)
>Adding Swap: 62460k swap-space (priority -2)
>
>I have not tried mounting the drive off root yet, but I believe I had
>the same problem when I was installing the new drive and the partions
>were mounted on
>/mnt/hdc2
>/mnt/hdc3
>
>I will try mounting hdc3 off / now.

Right, also try removing the CDROM from the secondary channel.

While we're at, paste the output of Linux's fdisk in expert mode. I'm
interested as to why Linux has decided to translate the 8GB, as denoted by
the "[PTBL]" in the partition check - you can see:

www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Large-Disk-8.html

for an explanation, and 8GB limits:

www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Large-Disk-4.html#The 8.4 GB limit
  __   __   _______________________________
 //)) //)) | Richard RUDEK. MicroDek.      | Hey, it's Friday night...
//\\ //\\  | Chatswood, Sydney. Australia. | C:\WORK> CD \
           `-------------------------------'

------------------------------

From: Mark Tranchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: resizing "growable" partitions
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:39:25 +0100

The horrible inelegant way would be to move, for example, /opt/kde to
/usr/local and add a symbolic link:

mkdir /usr/local/kde
cp -ar /opt/kde/* /usr/local/kde
rm -r /opt/kde
ln -s /usr/local/kde /opt/kde

Mark.

Subject: Re: Fractals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Adderholdt)
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 09:53:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Walter L. Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Here is a good question for everyone out there. Is there a package out
>there on Linux
>that will do Mandelbrot and/or Julia set fractals. I'm very fascinated
>with this.

My favorite is XaoS, which is available from GNU.

William Adderholdt

------------------------------

From: David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: GNU reeks of Communism
Date: 01 May 1999 11:53:51 +0200

Don Bashford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Jim Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > GNU reeks of Commumism.  I'll tell you why:
>   [ .... ]
> > P.S. This is intended as humor (and a troll) ;-)
>
> This is dead serious, and is intended as a provocation >:(
>
> Although your reasons why are ridiculous, you are right that GNU is
> communist.  And there's something even worse: the writing of
> software is an activity with very strong instrinsic communist
> tendencies.

The main difference to the variants of communism typical Americans
associate with the devil, however, is that participation in the GNU
communism is entirely voluntary and works on a case-by-case basis for
software.  The difference between GPLed and lighter licensed free
software is that in order to exploit a particular piece of GPLed
software, you have to play by the rules under which the software was
created.

--
David Kastrup                                     Phone: +49-234-700-5570
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Fax: +49-234-709-4209

------------------------------

From: "Jim Orfanakos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Sound on a Compaq Deskpro EP
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 08:32:45 -0400

I am trying to setup sound on my Compaq Deskpro EP.

Win98 shows it is a ESS device.  Is this the same as Ensoniq?  What Linux
driver should I be using?

 I am using Redhat 5.1.

 Jim, Monika and Sophia Orfanakos
 http://www.orfanakos.com

From: Prins Olivier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 10:39:58 +0200

Jerry Lynn Kreps wrote:

> Don't forget ... this is Wag-the-dog IV for Clinton.  He wagged three
> other times in minor ways because he was only trying to distract from
> bimbo and impeachment problems.  This time he needed a SERIOUS
> distraction because he is trying to keep the press and the American
> people from noticing his treasoneous actions in selling military
> technology to the Chinese for campaign donations (121 people have fled
> the USA to avoid being summoned to testify).   Increasing the accuracy
> of Chinese missles and giving them the technology to reduce the size of
> the nuclear bombs so they can be merved is putting the entire world at
> risk, just to save his leacherous neck - that's a crime against
> humanity.  But, for those of you who voted for him, what did you
> expect?  This man, who switched his stand on the death penality and
> fried a lobotomized Black man to show he was tough on crime during the
> 1992 elections will have no second thoughts about frying you if it
> serves his purpose.  And he will do it claiming it is for the "good of
> the children".

Well, he certainly has done a good job distracting ppl because i didn't
really know anything about that

--
Running Windows on a PIII, is like driving a $200,000 Porsche only
backwards.....

------------------------------

From: "Gunther Huygens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: special video card request
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 10:42:58 +0200

Which of the existing videocard
is able to have PC2TV and:
1) provides images for monitor and PC on the same time
2) Provides possibility to have different windows/outputs on monitor and TV
at the same time

give all the products you know that perform 1)

give all the products you know that perform 2)

Preferably not too expensive. (Linux supported => X )

(I know am asking too much but already have spent hours surfing and haven't
find something that can
help me with this)

I probably will  be 0/c cele to 100FSB

What is the difference between Quantum EX en CR?
which HDD good to o/c Quantum, Seagate, IBM ?

Greetings from Flanders
Gunther

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William McBrine)
Subject: Re: Burning playable music CD's
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 12:53:31 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Brian L Rachford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: I bought a CD-RW drive last week and had no problems getting
: it up and running (BTC 2x/2x/6x IDE drive, RedHat 5.2, 2.0.36,
: 486DX2/66).  I've successfully written a data CD-R and have

Can I say, I'm just glad to hear that you're able to do this. What I'd
heard before had led me to believe that CD burning would be impractical
without either going to SCSI, or using a much faster processor (expensive
either way). Now, I think I'll give it a try. :-)

--
William McBrine    | http://www.clark.net/~wmcbrine/
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | ./\./\./\./\./\./\./\./\./\./\.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William McBrine)
Subject: Re: removing CEO Eckhard Pfeiffer
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 12:59:23 GMT

So... maybe I'm missing something, but what does this have to do with
Linux?

From: Prins Olivier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Microsoft is the Communist!!!
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 15:41:34 +0200

The biggot: imagine_me wrote:

> Wanting to buy and control every-fucking thing...
> "... They spend billions(?) in research" Come fucking on... research of
> what?  Fucking win9x is not billions worth to develop... it's a piece of
> shit!
>
> Now if they spend those billions in research of how to control fucking
> idiot-stupid-sheeps (win9x loozers how you doing?), lawyers, steal
> technology from other companies, etc... I believe it.
>
> Linux is not a commi, nor is the GNU, FSF, and family....  They give you
> CHOICES!
>
> The key word here is control.... MS wants it!
> Linux frees your fucking spirit!

aahhh it looks like we have a real moron on our hands here...i think you
using the word commi says it all...real communism ( not what u americans
think it is) gives you choices, real communism is based on discussion in
which everybody has influence....and dont you think Redhat and Suse
etc....want control, hey they would love to control the market...

From: jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: nwu.comp.unix.linux,nwu.comp.misc
Subject: Re: StarOffice 5.0
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 10:20:47 -0400

Sean Melody wrote:

> What? That is asinine...I installed as root and two other users use the
> program on my home computer...

You probably used the "/net" option when installing.  I didn't.  The default
installation (i.e. without the "/net"
option) can only be run by the user who
does the installation.  I don't have mulitple users using my machine, so I
never considered installing with the "/net" option.
  But it doesn't matter now.  It ran too slowly (even on my 450MHz machine),
so I deleted it almost as soon as I installed it.  I now use LaTeX exclusively
for all of my document-editing needs.  :-)

-jason

(to reply via email, make the appropriate substitution in my email address)

------------------------------

From: Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FTPing
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 17:15:16 -0400

IF I have users logging in to my machine via ftp, how can I view what
they are doing and all the fun stats administrators would like to know
about the user.

I am currently useing netstat but there must be a beter way.

thanks in advanced.

Paul

------------------------------

From: Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: KDE:something missing!!!
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 17:20:04 -0400

Chris Sykes wrote:

> The guys/gals at comp.windows.x.kde are the people to ask wrt KDE.
>
> Chris
>
> AlexAndre wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >Hi!
> >When I boot I don't see the kde on the screen ...
> >What I did I went to /home where I found .xinitrc
> >I clicked on .xinitrc " et voila " kde !beautifull!!
> >But I got this message:# ./.xinitrc
> >Using old audio server with talk  id 3
> >
> >kpanel:waiting for windowmanager
> >kwm: it looks like there's already a window manager runing. kwm not
> >started
> >End of message.
> >
> >Info:RedHat 5.2
> >Can you  please  help me.
> >Many thanks!
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]

First off.  In the file .xinitrc you need to put exec kdestart.
and then you need to add the following to your profiles file (path)
/opt/kde/bin:/usr/local/bin:usr/local/kde/bin
and
in the same file
KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde

Paul

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 1 May 1999 13:45:46 GMT

In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.misc didst imagine_me <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
eloquently scribe:
: Now if they spend those billions in research of how to control fucking
: idiot-stupid-sheeps (win9x loozers how you doing?), lawyers, steal
: technology from other companies, etc... I believe it.

: Linux is not a commi, nor is the GNU, FSF, and family....  They give you
: CHOICES!

: The key word here is control.... MS wants it!
: Linux frees your fucking spirit!

Language Timothy....
As for Communism, I doubt M$ could EVER be considered that.
Learn what it means before spouting off.

If anything, they are the OPPOSITE of communism...
(In the political spectrum, that tents to be Fascism, which is FAAAAR worse)
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]| "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|     Andrew Halliwell     |                                                 |
|       Finalist in:-      | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
|     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 10:48:44 -0400

imagine_me wrote:

> Wanting to buy and control every-fucking thing...
> "... They spend billions(?) in research" Come fucking on... research of
> what?  Fucking win9x is not billions worth to develop... it's a piece of
> shit!

Microsoft probably does spend billions developing NT and 98.
What does this say?  Well, maybe there is an overhead somewhere
in MS R&D, so they have to "overshoot" their goals a little.  If
you think about, you would probably never go to work for MS over
the "principles" of working for Bill Gates and his monopoly.  But
if MS put enough money in front of you, you would probably give
in eventually (I would too).

Also, I saw where Microsoft is luring some pretty talented
professors away to work for them, the cream of the crop.  So, MS
has to up the ante on the salaries to get those brainiacs to work
for them.  Bill knows money talks when hiring personnel.

Which brings me to my next point.  What effect on the Computer
Science community does this have?  A lot of professors are going
to work for MS on their research "campus", so now there'll be a
shortage of instructors teaching computer science.  But this can
be a good thing also, since it will create more jobs for aspiring
computer science professors.

So that is where all the research money is going - luring
top-notch college professors away from their lucrative positions.

--
  Donn

From: Shimon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tell me how Linux boots ?
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:06:42 +0300

Cameron Spitzer wrote, along with a lot of other interesting info:

> Kernel sets up memory management, and then calls each
> device driver's initialization routine.  Most of the
> drivers print (kprintf) a message, which accounts for
> Linux' famous startup verbosity.

well, being as new as i am, i hadnt heard yet that it was famous <g>,
but i WAS wondering how i can actually *read* that stuff!
i tried hitting my PC's pause button, but that had no effect
at all.
is this stuff all logged anywhere?? in Linuxconf there is a
'page' for looking at logs, but that didnt work, just said
there was no log.
do i need to change something in order to have it logged?
thanks,
Shimon

------------------------------

From: Edward Nather <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Sucks as a Java Server, comments???
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 14:22:14 GMT

In their book "The Practice of Programming", Kernighan and Pike
compare the speed of Java, C, C++, Perl,and AWK by re-writing their
example in all of them.  They then timed each one.  I found it
very interesting that C was fastest, Perl came in second (3 times
slower) and Java last (30 times slower).  I've never used Java so
I can't comment on how fair this is as a test, but I don't think
it matters in this case.  C used the most lines of code (150) and
Java was next (105), Perl used the least (18).  So if speed is
essential, you use C.  If small source is important, use Perl (or
Awk, slower than Perl by 2x, 20 lines vs 18).  Since Perl runs on
a lot of different platforms, as C does, who would find Java
attractive?

ed

------------------------------

From: "Bryan Gaetjens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to find amount of Free Disk Space
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 11:43:28 -0400

OK, bash me for being stupid if you like, but I'm at a loss.

How do you determine the amount of free space left on a disk under
Linux???????

    Bryan

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Remove 'NOSPAM' to reply.

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Windows
Date: 26 Apr 1999 10:20:13 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

> In article <7fp4nu$mt6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Rahul Dhesi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>A more realistic question is 'how valuable is it to survive intervals
> >>of ridiculous overloading'?  That is, if the system starts taking
> >>5 minutes to give you a prompt, will you leave it that way for a
> >>while and hope it works its way back, or will you reboot so you
> >>can go back to work immediately?
> >
> >It's usually preferable to kill only the offending process(e).  We might
> >be in the middle of a simulation that will take three days, or we might
> >be analyzing a long log file and we don't want to start over, or our
> >name server might have built up a rich cache and we don't want to lose
> >it, or we might be editing five different files and we don't want to
> >lose our cursor positions and "undo" context in any of them.  Such
> >activities will survive a period of overload, but they won't survive a
> >reboot.
> >
> >Systems should be designed to survive overload without having to be
> >rebooted.
>
> Yes, but if your name server starts taking minutes to respond to
> queries and you can't see any end in sight to the overload
> will you leave it that way to preserve the cache or reboot
> and let people start working again?  Killing processes sounds
> good, but what if it takes several minutes to get a prompt
> and many more to run ps, and meanwhile the requests that are
> overloading the server are still coming?

this is why root on the console terminal traditionally gets a high
priority for all commands by default.  everyone waits for superuser so
that root can do what they need to do.  i do not know if linux has a
similar priviledged position anywhere (like root on a particular
virtual term).

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: Lian PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installing Programs
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 23:59:48 +0800

I bought the LInux Library CD Rom and the README file gives instructions:

To install " sh install.sh"

When I was in LInux I mounted the Cd Rom into /mnt/Cdrom the I followed
the instructions, but permission to install was denied.

I have tried Chmod a+x install.sh
I have tried ./install.sh

They won't work. Can someone suggest how to solve this problem. Plse email
to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]