From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Collin W. Hitchcock)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: My Linux crashes more often than M$
Date: 26 Aug 1999 23:33:55 -0400

> I'm using Red Hat 6, and every now and then, it just decides to log
> me out

> All my windows get closed and I get taken back to the login screen
> (dialog box, ie X running)

Here is what is happening and how to figure out more info (if you are
willing to delve into some of the technical details of your setup):

You are running XDM on the local display.  The configuration file for
XDM for Redhat is in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config.  This file contains a
line:

DisplayManager*session:         /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession

indicating that when you log in successfully, xdm runs the script in
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession.  Xsession does a bunch of setup work and then
executes the following code:

if [ -x "$HOME/.xsession" ]; then
    exec "$HOME/.xsession"
elif [ -x "$HOME/.Xclients" ]; then
    exec "$HOME/.Xclients"
elif [ -x /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients ]; then
    exec /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients
else
    exec xsm
fi

I'll assume you don't have a .xsession or .Xclients but you do have a
/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients (check!).  /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients does a
bunch of stuff and then execs something else -- in my case a window
manager:

exec fvwm

I'm not familiar with the new desktops -- they might replace fvwm (or
whatever window manager you use) with some other program.  Look for a
line of the form:

exec someprogram

near the end of /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients.

Your problem is that someprogram is dieing unexpectedly; xdm
interprets the death of someprogram as you logging out and kills all
of your apps.  someprogram's stdout and stderr are disappearing into
/dev/null so you aren't even getting an error message.  Replace the
line:

exec someprogram

with

exec someprogram > /tmp/xdmout 2>&1

The next time you are forcibly logged out, the error message that
someprogram produced when it died will be captured in /tmp/xdmout.
Post the identity of someprogram along with the contents of
/tmp/xdmout and we will have the information we need to help you.

Collin

------------------------------

From: slightlytwisted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.hacking,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: netscape 4.51 for linux
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:18:27 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have redhat 6.0 installed and it came with netscape 4.51.  It's always
> crashing whenever anything that has to do with java is on the website
> I'm trying to access.  How can I fix this.  Thanks.

get netscape 4.61
--
slightlytwisted

------------------------------

From: John Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:32:18 -0500

Christopher B. Browne wrote:

> After all, even if the instructor is a severe ignoramus, the
> instructor is still the authority responsible for giving out grades.

Tell me, how proud would you be to get a good grade in
a situation such as this? Is that all that matters - get
a good grade, bow to The Man, etc.? Never mind that
they are *wrong*?

Now I know where all the butt kissing corporate "yes men"
come from... students who knew in their heart that they
were right, but crushed their own instincts in order
to get through with a decent grade and a sheepskin,
only to be evaluated by some stuffed shirt that doesn't
know his ass from a hole in the ground.

What a waste.
--
John Bell - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.vignette.com
    Sr. System Administrator - Vignette Corporation

------------------------------

From: Alex Flinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Journal or Linux Magazine
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:45:22 -0400

Carl Fink wrote:

> LINUX JOURNAL reads more like a technical journal.  The articles are
> written (mostly) by computer professionals for other computer
> professionals.

I'd go along with this also. LJ seems to be oriented towards the more
experienced user.

> LINUX MAGAZINE is more like a general circulation magazine.  More
> attention seems to be given to the writing style, which uses fewer
> undefined technical terms.  They have more no-computer-content
> articles like the one in the current issue about a Red Hat promotion,
> "Geek Week".  LJ has case studies of actual Linux usage.

LM appears to be trying to appeal to a very wide variety of Linux users. The
tech articles/columns in each issue tend to vary a great deal with regards to
the expected level of technical expertise of the reader. IMO this can be both
a good and a bad thing. If they continue what they are doing it would be a
good thing, if they fall into the trap of rehashing the same articles (as I
have seen in other non-tech publications) it would be a bad thing.

> I read them both, but I'd give up LINUX MAGAZINE first.  I really
> don't care about how the computer geeks reacted to their snorkeling
> trip being canceled.  OTOH, LM has better interviews.

I don't susbscribe to either one, and only purchase issues when there is an
article of particular interst to me. If I were to subscribe to them, I would
most likely get both, with LJ being delivered to my work address and LM being
sent to my home address.

------------------------------

From: Eusebio Garate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Problems Compiling DFM-0.99.3 in Redhat 6.0
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:07:19 -0700

I am having difficulties compiling DFM-0.99.3 under Redhat 6.0. I am
certain that I have xpm-devel and xpm installed (rpm -q xpm yields
xpm-4.11-1 and rpm -q xpm-devel yields xpm-devel-4.11-1) and the
appropriate Tk and GTK packages. However when I try to execute the
configure file I get the following error:

 ./configure
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles...
no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for X... no
checking for zlib.h... yes
checking for gzread in -lz... yes
checking for X11/xpm.h... no
configure: error: Xpm library and/or headers are not installed
(required)

Can somebody tell me what the 'fix' for this problem is (I am not very
well versed in C . I've looked at the configure file and configure.in
file but I can't tell if during the compile the program looks in the
correct directory for the files it needs).

Thanks,
Eusebio

------------------------------

From: Crash2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: Script to preload netscape?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 05:33:11 GMT

Warren Bell wrote:

> I don't know much about programing so I don't know if this is possible
> but is there any type of script you can write to preload netscape?
> Somthing that starts it but doesn't show it on the display until you hit
> an icon or somthing? Somthing to do with the $DISPLAY variable.

Hmm using gnome i just right clicked the bottom of screen created new
launcher, that was easy now how to get my damn soundcard working.

------------------------------

From: TurboTex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo and Ontrack
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:37:22 -0500

        Lilo will not mess up ontrack..  At least not here on two former doze
only machines..

Yannick Arnoud wrote:
>--
                     ----

       M.H. Collins             < LINUX: The Official OS >
         ******                 < for the New Millennium >
 Powered by TurboLinux 3.6       http://www.linuxlink.com
     Driven by XFCE3             http://www.austinlug.org

------------------------------

From: "Christian Weisz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Semaphore/Thread/Socket synchronization
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 07:40:48 +0200

Hi all ,

i have the following design problem.

My application have to wait for some events, that are
    Thread terminations ,
    Socket traffic ,
    Semaphores (which synchronizing a communication via shared memory)

I want to implement a method where all of the events are handled
sequentially in a democracy order. In case of socket (file descriptor based)
events only, I think I can use the select call. But how can I include
semaphores and threads in such a process ?

Suggestions are very appreciated.

Thanks in advance ,

Christian Weiß
Segue Softwareentwicklung Ges.m.b.H
Tel: ++43-732-336694-62

From: Robert Komar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Date: 27 Aug 1999 06:18:20 GMT

In comp.os.linux.security John Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Christopher B. Browne wrote:
:>
:> After all, even if the instructor is a severe ignoramus, the
:> instructor is still the authority responsible for giving out grades.

: Tell me, how proud would you be to get a good grade in
: a situation such as this? Is that all that matters - get
: a good grade, bow to The Man, etc.? Never mind that
: they are *wrong*?

: Now I know where all the butt kissing corporate "yes men"
: come from... students who knew in their heart that they
: were right, but crushed their own instincts in order
: to get through with a decent grade and a sheepskin,
: only to be evaluated by some stuffed shirt that doesn't
: know his ass from a hole in the ground.

: What a waste.

What a waste of good advice!  I think that no one was suggesting
that the student pretend that the instructor was right and kiss
butt, rather that there are better ways of dealing with this
situation than acting like a shithead and trying to embarrass
The Man in public.  As was suggested, the most good could be
achieved by approaching the teacher in private and discussing
the matter civilly.  Otherwise, what a wasted chance to
educate someone else, and what a waste to get a failing
mark when the course work is well and truly understood.
And finally, crappy teachers often spur on a healthy disrespect
of authority and, whether they like it or not, can stimulate
self-reliance.  What a waste to go through your entire school
years and never that learn those in authority can be ignoramuses,
too!  Thankfully, I was blessed with a few whoppers and am probably
a better man for it.  I'd shake their hands gratefully if I met
them in the streets today because that lesson ranks up there
right alongside the times tables.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lyndon F. Bartels)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: zero-length partition, input/output error, couldn't "mv" directory name.
couldn't e2fsck.
Date: 27 Aug 1999 04:22:10 GMT

Hello,

I've come across an interesting problem.

I have a system running RH 6.0. It has 3 SCSI drives. (2 4.5G, 1 9.1G). I just
added the 9.1.
I wanted to move some data from another, older linux box to this one.
(Upgrading hardware)
First, I fdisked the drive into one partition. That seemed to go well.
Next I made a file structure on it. (See capture below.)
Then I mounted it. (# mount /dev/sdc1 /htdocs-01)
Fourth, I nfs-mounted the file structure I wanted to copy.
Fifth, I cd-ed to the directory on the source.
Sixth, I copied the files from the nfs volume to the local volume (cp -va *
/htdocs-01/*)
Everything seemed to copy OK there too. I did a "df" to compare the "used"
column and they
were really close. The target took up a little less than the source. I figured
this was because
of "compaction". If that makes any sense.
I dismounted the nfs volume. No need in damaging the source. (Not until I'm
sure everything's OK)
Next I wanted to start moving some files around. Everything was going OK, then
all of a sudden,
I got an input error. (See the capture below.) Also, when I did a "ls" some of
the sub-directories
in this directory were missing.

I tried to figure out what was wrong. I got some messages in the log file
about the drive not
being ready. I dismount the structure, and tried to e2fsck it. (also see
capture.)
I rebooted the computer, and since I had altered /etc/fstab to reflect this
new device, it tried
to mount it on boot up. The computer spun its wheels for a long time fscking
the structure, and
finally mounted it. Seemingly OK.

I went to the same directory and attempted the same "mv" command and it worked
OK. And the
"missing" sub-directories were back. Everything seems OK.

Any ideas? I don't want to continue too far with this migration until I know
my hardware's OK.
Tell me what you need to know. What information can I give you?

I captured some stuff, the mkefs, df, etc, from the machine. Hope this helps.

Thanks in advance,

Lyndon F. Bartels
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

# mke2fs /dev/sdc1
mke2fs 1.14, 9-Jan-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
Linux ext2 filesystem format
Filesystem label=
2220032 inodes, 8875881 blocks
443794 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
1084 block groups
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
2048 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        8193, 16385, 24577, 32769, 40961, 49153, 57345, 65537, 73729, 81921,
        90113, 98305, 106497, 114689, 122881, 131073, 139265, 147457, 155649,

        163841, 172033, 180225, 188417, 196609, 204801, 212993, 221185,
229377,
        237569, 245761, 253953, 262145, 270337, 278529, 286721, 294913,
303105,
        311297, 319489, 327681, 335873, 344065, 352257, 360449, 368641,
376833,
.
.
.
        8445953, 8454145, 8462337, 8470529, 8478721, 8486913, 8495105,
8503297,
        8511489, 8519681, 8527873, 8536065, 8544257, 8552449, 8560641,
8568833,
        8577025, 8585217, 8593409, 8601601, 8609793, 8617985, 8626177,
8634369,
        8642561, 8650753, 8658945, 8667137, 8675329, 8683521, 8691713,
8699905,
        8708097, 8716289, 8724481, 8732673, 8740865, 8749057, 8757249,
8765441,
        8773633, 8781825, 8790017, 8798209, 8806401, 8814593, 8822785,
8830977,
        8839169, 8847361, 8855553, 8863745, 8871937

Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done .

# mv Fred fred
mv: cannot create directory `fred': Input/output error
# cd /
# cd /
#
#
# e2fsck /dev/sdc1
e2fsck 1.14, 9-Jan-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
e2fsck: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while
tryin
g to open /dev/sdc1
Could this be a zero-length partition?
#
#

# df
/dev/sda1               256592     32664    210676  13% /
/dev/sda2               264366        34    250677   0% /tmp
/dev/sda3              1492343    487748    927483  34% /home
/dev/sda4              2283813    393255   1772481  18% /usr
/dev/sdb2               451007      8554    419159   2% /var
/dev/sdb3              1492343        32   1415199   0% /usr/local
/dev/sdb4              2283813    202294   1963442   9% /httpd
/dev/sdc1              8558268   1063770   7050704  13% /htdocs-01
#

/var/log/messages capture.

Aug 26 22:26:49 gl1500 kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:21, sector 2
Aug 26 22:27:06 gl1500 PAM_pwdb[480]: (su) session closed for user root
Aug 26 22:27:09 gl1500 PAM_pwdb[468]: (login) session closed for user lfb
Aug 26 22:27:26 gl1500 kernel: (scsi0:0:2:0) Performing Domain validation.
Aug 26 22:27:26 gl1500 kernel: (scsi0:0:2:0) Successfully completed Domain
valid
ation.
Aug 26 22:27:26 gl1500 kernel: SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 2 lun 0
ret
urn code = 28000002
Aug 26 22:27:26 gl1500 kernel: extra data not valid Current error sd08:21:
sense
 key Not Ready
Aug 26 22:27:26 gl1500 kernel: Additional sense indicates Logical unit not
ready
, manual intervention required
Aug 26 22:27:26 gl1500 kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:21, sector 2
Au

------------------------------

From: "Scott Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Semaphore/Thread/Socket synchronization
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:31:50 -0700

Christian Weisz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7q58cp$h0i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I want to implement a method where all of the events are handled
> sequentially in a democracy order. In case of socket (file descriptor
based)
> events only, I think I can use the select call. But how can I include
> semaphores and threads in such a process ?

You'll have to poll (if using a single thread).  This is actually an area
(gasp) where I like Windows better.  Windows has a single abstraction for
waiting for something: WaitForMultipleObjects. If any of the above are
ready, you use one call to find out which.
    Scott

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Grossman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.misc,comp.mail.sendmail,msn.computingcentral.os.linux
Subject: Procmail Problem
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:50:56 -0700

Hello,
I have just switched to using Tmail with Sendmail as my local mailer from
Procmail because I changed my mailbox format to mbx from mbox.  I was under
the impression that when I switched to mbx, I had to switch to Procmail.  I
went and put a .forward file of "|/usr/bin/procmail" to filter my incoming
mail.  But, now in my maillog file, it tells me each message is sent to
"|/usr/bin/procmail" instead of showing the real email address like it did
before.  How can I make the output the same as it was before?  Is it
possible to use Procmail with the mbx format?

On the subject of Procmail and mbx, I noticed a problem.  I went ahead and
converted all of my mail folders to mbx also.  But each time Procmail would
filter a message into one of those folders, it killed the folder.  I ended
up having to switch all the folders that Procmail touches to mbox format so
they do not get corrupted.

Thanks,
Jeff

--