From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Campbell)
Subject: Re: What is best HTML Editor for LINUX?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:11:28 GMT

You completely missed the point. I do NOT have time to learn all of
the codes in HTML 3. I CAN write a decent page using Notepad, but not
one that looks like it. You say I'm not being told to do it by hand,
but to use the proper tool...what is a proper tool? Notepad? VI?
Emacs? My *point* is, is that they are NOT the proper tool for 9/10ths
of all the regular people out there who are expected to make a page,
but are NOT professionals.
I know DARNED well that professional web page designers don't use FP.
I'm not a professional web page designer. I never claimed to be one. I
don't even use FP, because of various problems. I don't think anyone
should. I agree that they hack code, but my POINT was that not
everyone has the time to learn all the code that is now necessary to
make a decent page.
the original query was if there are any FP like programs for Unix,
whereupon the original poster got stomped on. I was TRYING to make
light of the issue.
I post in several disparate ng's, but eh common theme about my posts
are always that I will jump in when someone doesn't ANSWER the
original question asked.
I don't happen to KNOW off-hand the names of any programs that will do
what the original poster wants, but I know there are some out there.

How about someone, anyone, actually ANSWERING the post?
Chris

NOTE: I use Agent, and as such have the ability to ignore a thread. I
am doing so, since I know this heated response to a response will
assuredly get another flame or two. I sincerely hope it won't, but in
any case.... *plonk* (I know, plonking is kill filing, but I dunno
want the term is for kill threading... ;c) )

--
Chris Campbell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen E. Halpin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: why not C++?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:00:19 GMT

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 13:54:10 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Schuerig) wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Why doesn't it surprise me that Stroustrop came up with this lame idea.
>
>Someone has to get caught each time that paper is mentioned. Yes, it
>really does exist. And, yes, it's really been written by Stroustrup.
>But...
>
>> For a man that had the opportunity to clean up the C syntax and make it
>> more readable yet managed the impressive task of making it even more of an
>> dogs dinner than it already was, he really should have learnt his lesson by
>> now.
>
>You can bet that similarity to C was instrumental in the widespread
>adoption of C++. If it were not to offer some kind of compatibility to
>existing C code, it wouldn't be nearly as widely used as it actually is.
>There's a similar effect with Java.

The fact that there were no restrictions on the use of the language
also helped.  Entities weren't free to write competing implementations
of Objective-C or Eiffel for some time, allowing C++ to become the most
widely available object oriented language.  Personally I think this more
than anything is responsible for the widespread use of C++.  As for Java,
its lack of formal pointers makes it fundamentally incompatible with C -
that it uses braces instead of begin/end, etc... should be noise to a good
developer.  I used more than ten languages during my undergraduate years,
so I'm not terribly tolerant of the notion that all languages have to look
like C to be usable or viable.

>> I just wish academics like him would crawl back into their ivory towers
>> and shut the doors for good since they seem to forget that programming
>> languages are tools to be used by people, not machines, and therefor should be
>> as syntactically clear as possible, not look like line noise.
>
>How long does someone have to be in industry so that you don't consider
>them an "academic" in your derogatory sense? No, sorry, but the design
>of C++ has above all been driven by practical concerns.

I dont know any academics who would want to take the blame for this
language.  The grammar is insanely large (the yacc output of GCC's C++
grammar is nearly nine times that of the C grammar), and the number of
ways you can implicitly call other functions without the slightest hint
to the reader is rediculous.  Code is indeed written once to be read
many times, and C++ defies this principle in a seemingly infinite
number of ways.

That said, C++ can be used to build efficient, large scale systems,
and could be used to build a reasonable kernel.  Knowledgeable
engineers who can select an appropriate subset of C++ can produce
code which can be even faster than C code and make it more readable
in the process.  It has also proven to be an effective language to
develop large scale, distributed real-time systems.  Its just a tool,
and in the right hands, can be used to good effect.

>> NJR   (a C/C++ programmer for 15 years)
>
>About time to reconsider your preconceptions.
>

>Michael
>
>--
>Michael Schuerig
>mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>http://www.schuerig.de/michael/

-Steve

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:06:54 +0000
From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is this a Mandrake 6.0 bug?

I'm getting this message from cron.weekly:

bzcat: Input file ./fetchmailconf.1.bz2 doesn't exist, skipping.
bzcat: Input file ./ghostscript.1.bz2 doesn't exist, skipping.
bzcat: ./ksh.1.bz2 is not a bzip2 file, skipping.
bzcat: Input file ./pdksh.1.bz2 doesn't exist, skipping.
bzcat: ./rdist.1.bz2 is not a bzip2 file, skipping.
bzcat: ./statserial.1.bz2 is not a bzip2 file, skipping.

bzcat: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
        perhaps it is corrupted?  *Possible* reason follows.
bzcat: Success
        Input file = ./convfont.1.bz2, output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to *attempt* to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

bzcat: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
        perhaps it is corrupted?  *Possible* reason follows.
bzcat: Success
        Input file = ./dumpreg.1.bz2, output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to *attempt* to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

bzcat: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
        perhaps it is corrupted?  *Possible* reason follows.
bzcat: Success
        Input file = ./fix132x43.1.bz2, output file = (stdout)

<cut about 500 more lines of same>

I even reinstalled and get the same thing.  Anyone else with mandrake
get this?  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Warren Bell

------------------------------

From: Jim McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: html_editor
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:27:13 GMT

Mitja wrote:

> I am searching for WYSIWYG html editor. Is there any for Linux? (not Amaya).
>
> Mitja
> ---------
> http://www2.arnes.si/~ljitis1

Try  Linuxberg , the site has a pretty complete list of HTML editors available
for Linux. I'm pretty sure Coffee Cup is available there. I hope this helps.

JIm Mcintyre
Webmaster Program
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Save my 486... Linux and HDD controller board
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:33:23 GMT

Your major problem is that Mandrake6.0 isn't good for 486's it is made
to run on the faster Pent's classes.
You would be better using RH6.0 it likes 486's.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Gavin Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc Jimmy Lio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I created a boot disk out of the disk image provided by my Mandrake
RH

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Malone)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.windows.x.kde,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: kppp connects and immediately disconnects with pppd died
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:14:27 GMT

Can anyone help, before I lost the rest of my hair?

I would prefer to keep using kppp and I already removed "lock" from
the script, because kppp uses it's own.

Thanks,

Michael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:31:23 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Schuerig) wrote:
>> For a man that had the opportunity to clean up the C syntax and make it
>> more readable yet managed the impressive task of making it even more of an
>> dogs dinner than it already was, he really should have learnt his lesson by
>> now.
>
>You can bet that similarity to C was instrumental in the widespread
>adoption of C++. If it were not to offer some kind of compatibility to

I've no doubt it was.

>existing C code, it wouldn't be nearly as widely used as it actually is.
>There's a similar effect with Java.

My point was that he's added even more pointless and obscure things to C++
such as reference variables. What the hells the point of those when you
already have pointers? Also overloading the << and >> to produce a less
powerfull (for most things) I/O system than *printf and *scanf and to
produce confusing statements like "cout << 2 << 3". In general IMO
operator overloading produces impossible to follow code and the syntax for
declaring an overloaded operator is a joke as are other things such as
class inheritance. Also why give constructor functions the same name as the
class and make destructors have a tilda in front? Even worse the copy
function is the same as the constructor except it takes an argument!
Whats wrong with constructor() , destructor() and copy() for chrissake??
I could go on but whats the point. C++ is a dogs dinner like I said before.

>How long does someone have to be in industry so that you don't consider
>them an "academic" in your derogatory sense? No, sorry, but the design
>of C++ has above all been driven by practical concerns.

Bullshit. The only practical part was building it on top of C. The rest of
it was made up by stroustrop , probably with very little input from anyone
who might have to use the language for real.

>About time to reconsider your preconceptions.

I think not. Just because C++ is used by lots of people doesn't make it a
good language syntactically anymore than billions of people buying Big Macs
makes the burger upmarket cuisine. Sure C++ has power but so what? So does
assembler.

NJR

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Best language for graphical apps?
Date: 29 Aug 1999 14:39:08 -0700

"Max Reason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message ...
[snip]
> > XBasic also is not Free Software
> > (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html).  you can't modify
> > and redistribute it, and I'm not sure source is even available.
> >
> > if you want to write Free Software, life will be much easier for your
> > users if you use tools that are Free Software, such as tcl, perl, tk,
> > gtk, fltk, wxWindows, STk, etc.
> >
> >andru
>
>  I am sorry if your understanding of "free" is different than mine.

I included a link to the definition I use for easy reference.

>  To me, if I can get something at no cost, it is free.  Furthermore,
>  you can freely distribute the source and executable code for any
>  application you write in XBasic.

Sadly, english is ambiguous.  I wish to describe software which:
 has source code freely available.
 is freely modifiable.
 is freely redistributable.
 is freely usable.

I thought it was clear I was referring to XBasic *itself*, rather than
any software created with it.

it is possible for software to be Open Source without being Free
Software (witness the first versions of the NPL, the APSL, or the
QPL).  When I wish to speak of that which is Free Software (and,
incidentally, Open Source), and do not wish to speak of that which is
Open Source, but not Free Software, I sadly have to use an ambiguous
term and explain what I mean.  such is life.  sometimes I use the
phrase "GPL compatible", which is very unambiguous, *but* it does not
include all of Free Software.  for a more complete discussion of the
term "Free Software", see the url above which I *originally* offered
to anyone who wasn't clear on what I was talking about.

>  If the distinctions you mention
>  are important to you, that's fine for you and everyone who has
>  the same priorities.

thank you for understanding.  I made my post to save anyone who values
the same freedoms I do from wasting their time.

>  But not everyone shares them with you,
>  and you cannot expect to redefine words and have everyone
>  else on earth conform to them.

I am not redefining anything.  I used a popular definition of an
ambiguous term, and included a link to the full definition I was
using so that there would be no question about what, exactly, I was
saying.

andru
| Andru Luvisi                 | http://libweb.sonoma.edu/               |
| Programmer/Analyst           |   Library Resources Online              |
| Ruben Salazar Library        |-----------------------------------------|
| Sonoma State University      | http://www.belleprovence.com/           |
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |   Textile imports from Provence, France |

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Maximum Ram?
Date: 29 Aug 1999 14:39:55 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> The error I get is:

> and it just hangs there...
Sounds like you compiled something needed at boot as a module--ext2 or
scsi support maybe?  Boot the old kernel or from a boot disk and
recompile.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Martin Drautzburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: What script executes before X11 starts?
Date: 29 Aug 1999 22:37:41 +0200

On my machine in runlevel 3 xdm (the graphical login) is started. So
if you want another program to run before that, you would

o write an init file "xfstt", that understands start and stop
  parameters (look at one of the existing files in /etc/rc.d)

o symlink this file to rc3.d as S10xfstt and K10xfstt, where 10
  indicates when it shall be started with respect to the other files in
  rc3.d (use a lower number (09) to start ealier ...)

However, X may not be started in runlevel 3 on your machine and you
may not be using xdm so things may be a bit different on your
machine. If worse comes to worst you donīt have sysV init at all. But
in all cases /etc/rc* is the place to go to.

--
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?
-- Martin

------------------------------

From: Martin Drautzburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: athome.users-unix,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: VMware - wow!
Date: 29 Aug 1999 22:49:03 +0200

Jason Pell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I realise what you are saying about it not being truly a virtual
> machine, but the chance to have Windows 95 running where it belongs
> (in an X window) is really nice.

Yeah I got off on this one too: iconifying Win98, thatīs really some
experience !

From: Klea Dzonsons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: distribution question
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:31:30 +0930

Hi all,

Ive been using RH 6.0 but I want to change distributions,
a friend recommended I try Mandrake.
What do you guys think of mandrake? is it stable and easy to configure?

thanks in advance.
Klea

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 6.0 kernel
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:05:00 +0000

"William B. Cattell" wrote:

> Ben Ritchie wrote:
> >
> snip
> > I guess my questions are....
> >
> > (a) Do I just download the full source for the new kernel I want, and
> > patch that in future, or is there another way?
> >
> > (b) What's in the Mandrake 2.2.9 kernel source that stops patch from
> > working? Do I need it in future?
> >
> > Many thanks - feel free to flame away if this is all written down
> > somewhere obvious. A URL with the flame would be nice, though :-)
> >
> > Ben.
>
> Ben - yes, they are written down in the Kernel-upgrade
> HOWTO.  That HOWTO will tell you all you need to know about
> upgrading your kernel.  make xconfig *should* work.  I'm
> pretty sure I used it on a Mandrake 6.0 system I have at
> work.  I would suggest getting the whole source.  It's
> always been my preference to compile a kernel and not just
> patch it.  No real reason other than personal peference.
>
> Bill

The patches are source code. You still have to compile after the patches
are applied.

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:03:07 +0000

That's the wrong page, it's the mini-howtos. Go back up to main HOWTO
page

http://kernelnotes.org/LDP/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html#ss3.1

------------------------------

From: Joshua Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:25:34 GMT

Mark Post wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:30:58 GMT, Joshua Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I am trying to autoload Xfstt during boot. The FaQ says to do so I must
> >execute "xfstt &" few sections before X11 starts. Which initiate script
> >should I put this line in?
>
> What distribution are you running?
> What is your default runlevel (found in /etc/inittab)?  3?  4?  5?
> That will determine where you need to put your start command.
>
> Mark Post
>
> To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

Caldera OL 2.2 default level 5.
--
Joshua Li
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Larry Barlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: REAL PLAYER in LINUX. Which ver.
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:44:00 -0500
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------------------------------

From: Lam Dang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.51 aborts on starting Java
Date: 29 Aug 1999 18:10:58 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans Wolters) writes:

> Lam Dang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> found a keyboard
>  and could not resist the temptation ....
>
> >I have several Linux boxes running RedHat
> >6.0.  All but one have no problem starting a
> >Java console or running applets.  The one
> >that does just disappears as soon as the
> >message "Starting Java" comes up on the
> >status line at the bottom of the Netscape
> >window.
> >
> >The good ones are from upgrading RH 5.2 to RH
> >6.0; the bad one is from a fresh installation
> >of RH 6.0.  I've checked the Netscape files
> >to make sure they're the same on all boxes.
> >
> >What am I missing here?  Any suggestions will
> >be appreciated.
>
> It might be something with the fontpath. You can find more info on
> the redhat errata site.
>
> Chau Hans

You're correct.  I made the following change
in my XF86Config file:

Old:
    FontPath   "unix/:-1"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local"

New:
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local"

And the problem went away.  (Obviously, it
didn't happen to the upgraded boxes because I
kept their old XF86Config files.)

Thanks for your help.  I'll check out RedHat's
errata site later.

--
Lam Dang

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen E. Halpin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: The optimization debate (was: why not C++?)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:18:32 GMT

On 28 Aug 1999 18:07:27 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne) wrote:

>On 27 Aug 1999 12:03:05 +0100, Paul Flinders
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul D. Smith) writes:
>>> On a micro level, I believe the best way is to write the code the most
>>> straightforward way possible first, _then_ when it all works, come back
>>> and see where you can tweak it to be faster.  Remember, slower, working
>>> code is always better than faster, broken code.
>>
>>That's true unless the very slowness _is_ the breakage.
>>
>>Also with more multimedia stuff fast but not completely accurate can be
>>preferable to slow but complete (i.e would you prefer speech recognition
>>which ran in real time but which occasionally got it wrong to speech
>>recognition which took 5 minutes to recognise 10 seconds speech but always
>>got it right).
>
>Slower, working code that reads in a straightforward manner, which
>thereby makes it easy to make code transformations, is easier to
>optimize than slightly faster code where bits have been tuned, and
>thereby are virtually non-modifiable.

I think you missed the point of the previous poster.  He is not talking
about "slightly faster code", he is talking about a 30:1 difference using
heuristics to produce results which are probabalistically correct.  You
cant do it everywhere, but where you can do it, its a win.  Another
example of what the previous poster was getting at is lossy compression,
where MPEG can produce far better compression ratios for audio and video
than lossless compression schemes can, and its an acceptable tradeoff
in many cases.  On the other hand, you wouldnt store your company's
financial data using a lossy compression algorithm.

More to the point you make, there are times when slightly faster is
the difference between working and not working in a hard real-time
system, and you have to live with it.  Its all part of the tradeoffs
that an engineer must make.  If you havent seen the code for a box
where 100% of code and data memory are used and it runs hard real-time
at >98% utilization, its quite a sight :->

>--
>"Some sins carry with them their own automatic punishment.  Microsoft is
>one such.  Live by the Bill, suffer by the Bill, die by the Bill."
>--  Tom Christiansen
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

-Steve