Linux-Misc Digest #594, Volume #21               Mon, 30 Aug 99 00:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  termcap & color question (Justin B Willoughby)
  Re: What script executes before X11 starts? (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: How to reset modem after system crash? (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: rm cpu time (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Compiling the Kernel. (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: More Netscape errors. (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: networking slows down (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: [Q] message on telnet? (Cameron L. Spitzer)
  Re: dual boot win 98 (remove-to-reply (Matt Friedman))
  Load Average - 1.00 all the time since 2.2.12 kernel (Mark Moran)
  Re: Using Disk Druid  to partition a 1.2 GB drive (Justin B Willoughby)
  Using Disk Druid  to partition a 1.2 GB drive ("Julio R. Escobar")
  linux/apache server (Brain Fisher)
  Re: This is why RH 6.0 really sucks! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: USR modem won't use COM 2 (Rodney Myrvaagnes)
  Re: termcap & color question ("T.E.Dickey")
  Re: This is why RH 6.0 really sucks! (Jack Zhu)
  Re: Using Disk Druid  to partition a 1.2 GB drive (Jim McIntyre)
  Re: Running Windows NT Apps under Linux (Rich Piotrowski)
  Re: Using Disk Druid  to partition a 1.2 GB drive (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 Hardware Compatibility Questions ("Tyler Leeds")
  How to find out kernel version (Jason Bond)
  images and perl scripts (Les Cole)
  Re: "unknown" in uname output ?
  Re: How to find out kernel version ("Jerry Jackson")
  Re: Using Disk Druid  to partition a 1.2 GB drive (Doug Marker)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin B Willoughby)
Subject: termcap & color question
Date: 30 Aug 1999 02:01:55 GMT

I have done a search via deja.com but have yet to find the answer to my
question.

I want to have mutt use colors in my xterm like it does on the console. I
am now using the larger bsd termcap. What should the TERM variable be set
to under an xterm to get mutt to show colors like on the console? Of
course my `ls` does display colors with the default TERM=xterm under an xterm.

Thanks,

- Justin
--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   RULES!! * LINUX RULES *
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     Justin Willoughby

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: What script executes before X11 starts?
Date: 29 Aug 1999 16:35:46 -0700

Joshua Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am trying to autoload Xfstt during boot. The FaQ says to do so I must
> execute "xfstt &" few sections before X11 starts. Which initiate script
> should I put this line in?
either create a proper rc file in  /etc/rc.d or add it to rc.local (or
whatever your distro. calls it).  This is all in the documentation,
please read it before crossposting 3 groups (one of which is
unrelated).
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy
Date: 29 Aug 1999 16:54:34 -0700

Jon Bloom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> It's possible. There is ample evidence that Microsoft is capable of
> unknowingly (unthinkingly?) creating security hazards in the software
> they distribute. One need not infer any malice on their part.
Normally, I'd agree with you.  But they are *so* incompetent that it's
fishy.  Certainly "security fixes" are the best way to force users
to upgrade.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to reset modem after system crash?
Date: 29 Aug 1999 17:04:20 -0700

If your system crashes, the least of your worries should be modem.  It
should not "crash" except when there's a hardware failure or you do
something silly as root like 'cat /dev/random > /dev/kmem'.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rm cpu time
Date: 29 Aug 1999 16:43:10 -0700

Robin Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm using RH 6.0 with 2.2.11 and notice that it takes quite a long time
> for rm cdimage.raw when cdimage.raw is a large file ie 580Mb. I always
> thought that cleaning up the file system and so on were handled in the
> background somewhere under the hood. Is that not true?
rm foo.raw&  If the machine seems sluggish with that, you either have
slow hardware or something's misconfigured.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling the Kernel.
Date: 29 Aug 1999 17:21:08 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cesar da Silva) writes:

> $make mrproper
> $make menuconfig
> $make dep
> $make bzImage modules modules_install
That last line shouldn't make.  Try
        'make bzimage ; make modules ; make modules_install'
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Netscape errors.
Date: 29 Aug 1999 17:25:04 -0700

Jim Engstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I start to hate Netscape, do any other browser exist that runs under X
> and can handle java?
I just heard that the Opera port is nearing beta...
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: networking slows down
Date: 29 Aug 1999 17:02:01 -0700

Janet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have been recently been experiencing a problem with my networking
> slowing down.
Anything in the syslog?  Dropped packets, etc?
-ckm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Subject: Re: [Q] message on telnet?
Date: 30 Aug 1999 01:19:29 GMT

In article <qdgcq7.3hh.ln@localhost>, Stuart R. Fuller wrote:
>Cameron L. Spitzer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: Okay, I commented out the boot-time overwrite, and put an
>: empty file in /etc/issue.net, and my tcpserver (formerly inetd)
>: invokes in.telnetd with -h, and my machine *still*
>: prints its hostname with the login prompt.
>
>I just tried it out on my system, and it does not give any host name
>information.
>
>What if you were to create /etc/issue.net with just a blank line in it.  Would
>that be sufficiently "blank" to suit your purposes?

Then I get the blank line, followed by a login prompt with the hostname.
SuSE 6.0, Debian 1.3, and Debian 2.0 all do this.

                    +---
Invoke client.      |   $ telnet judi
Client says         |   Trying 208.xxx.xxx.xx...
all this.           |   Escape character is '^]'.
Blank line in       |
/etc/issue.net.     |
Login reveals       |   judi login:
host name.          +---
I want login to
just say "login:" and not give away the hostname.

Cameron

------------------------------

Subject: Re: dual boot win 98
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED](remove-to-reply) (Matt Friedman)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 02:15:32 GMT

Anita Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I have Lilo set to load Windows.  If I type in linux
>within a few seconds, it loads Linux.

I stand corrected.

I'm using MasterBooter. It wors... no probs.

MF

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Moran )
Subject: Load Average - 1.00 all the time since 2.2.12 kernel
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 02:22:13 GMT

Since installing the 2.2.12 kernel (upgrade from 2.2.10) uptime or top
report a minimum of 1.00 for a load average.   'CPU states are low,
eg., 0.9% or so for both user and system.  Do I need to upgrade
top/uptime or something up???

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin B Willoughby)
Subject: Re: Using Disk Druid  to partition a 1.2 GB drive
Date: 30 Aug 1999 02:21:49 GMT

"Julio R. Escobar" ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> I am setting up RH Linux 5.2 for the first time on a 1.2 GB HD.  I =
> intend to use the machine as a custom Linux desktop.  When booting up =
> with the floppy disk, I am asked to create partitions using Disk Druid.  =
>

> Can anyone make suggestions on how to partition the drive?  If possible, =
> please make suggestions on how to partition the drive using fdisk.  Keep =
> in mind that I am a newbie.

Just run fdisk and use ? for help. It will give you all the options
listing. After you create it, make it bootable also.

- Justin
--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   RULES!! * LINUX RULES *
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     Justin Willoughby

------------------------------

From: "Julio R. Escobar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Using Disk Druid  to partition a 1.2 GB drive
Date: 29 Aug 1999 19:17:39 PDT

=======_NextPart_000_0024_01BEF253.28E73140

Hi all,

I am setting up RH Linux 5.2 for the first time on a 1.2 GB HD.  I =
intend to use the machine as a custom Linux desktop.  When booting up =
with the floppy disk, I am asked to create partitions using Disk Druid.  =

Can anyone make suggestions on how to partition the drive?  If possible, =
please make suggestions on how to partition the drive using fdisk.  Keep =
in mind that I am a newbie.

Much thanks for your help.

--=20
Julio R. Escobar
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

** Physics liberates minds **

=======_NextPart_000_0024_01BEF253.28E73140

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 size=3D2>Hi all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080>I am setting up RH Linux 5.2 for the first =
time on a=20
1.2 GB HD.&nbsp; I intend to use the machine as a custom Linux =
desktop.&nbsp;=20
When booting up with the floppy disk, I am asked to create partitions =
using Disk=20
Druid.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080>Can anyone&nbsp;make suggestions on how to =
partition=20
the drive?&nbsp; If possible, please make suggestions on how to =
partition the=20
drive using fdisk.&nbsp; Keep in mind that I am a newbie.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080>Much thanks for your help.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 size=3D2><BR>-- <BR>Julio R. Escobar<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 size=3D2>** Physics liberates minds=20
**</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: Brain Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: linux/apache server
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 02:31:00 GMT

I have been appointed to set up a community ISP for a town pop.5,000 and
would like to know some really basic stuff. Experienced with HW, windows
('ugh') and Internet.(earn an existance creating Web Sites in wider area)
Can someone please guide me on some vey basic stuff such as minimum PC
specs. any other hardware & software required. Linux technicalities not
required at this stage. Have a distribution and quite sure 'I will need a
little help from my friends' (cyberfriends) in the future.
thanks brianF

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: This is why RH 6.0 really sucks!
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 01:56:01 GMT

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jack Zhu wrote:
> [...]
But I think at least RH company
> >> Oh, really, what should they do?  Should they
hack klogd so that it
> >> doesn't look for System.map?  Should they not
ship System.map at all?
> >OK, But when I upgraded kernel of RH 5.0 from
2.0.32 to 2.2.1, why there's not such
> >warning message?? How do u explain this?
There's absolutely stupid software design.
> >It's like in MS NT or win98, if you upgrade a
software package(such as Office 97 to
> >Office 2000) or a driver of one device, you got
warning msg which is 'System doesn't
> >match'. Isn't this stupid?
>
> If you install the kernel using "make install"
instead of manually copying
> files over, you will not get the error.  This is
not a problem with Redhat.
> I've upgraded the kernel several times in RH 5.x
and 6.0 and have never
> gotten the error you describe.
>

> >BTW, in Derian, is there such warning msg when
you upgrade the kernel?

> Yes.  And in SUSE and Slackware and Mandrake...
Unless you do it right.

> >Another thing is, how do you explain no
'resolv.conf' file in RH 6.0? Nobody will
> >happy about this.
>
> I have a resolv.conf file.  There's something
wrong with your computer.

>                               jay
>
> --
> "The movie really heightens the lack of interest
in the film"
>                                     --Crow T.
Robot
> Andrew J. Onifer III
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.bigfoot.com/~aonifer/       PGP key
on WWW page

You don't have a reslov.conf. Because you did not
create one either through the tools or by hand.
One only needs it if you have access to a name
server and usinf DNS  otherwise you can but ip and
hostnames in /etc/hosts.   That is pretty standard
on all Unixes.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rodney Myrvaagnes)
Subject: Re: USR modem won't use COM 2
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:42:41 GMT

I have a USR that works fine on com 2. I had to disable anything on
com 2 in the Bios and in windows before PNP would assign it there, but
now it works fine in linux or windows on Com 2.

I went into the bios and disabled com2 (a port on the motherboard, not
used). With the address and interrupt vacant, it became the next
choice.

------------------------------

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: termcap & color question
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 02:26:09 GMT

Justin B Willoughby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have done a search via deja.com but have yet to find the answer to my
> question.

> I want to have mutt use colors in my xterm like it does on the console. I
> am now using the larger bsd termcap. What should the TERM variable be set
> to under an xterm to get mutt to show colors like on the console? Of
> course my `ls` does display colors with the default TERM=xterm under an xterm.

The XFree86 3.3.3.1 xterm supports ANSI color and VT220 emulation
There's an faq at
        http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/xterm/xterm.faq.html
        ftp://ftp.clark.net/pub/dickey/xterm

(you want terminfo, not termcap -- and the choice of $TERM really depends on
what you have for 'xterm')

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Jack Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:20:38 -0400

> Any distribution will come up with the same error message concerning
> System.map. All you have to do is copy the System.map from /usr/src/linux to
> /boot... That removes the message... Simple.

But I upgrade the kernel of RH5.0 from 2.0.32 to 2.2.1, there's no such warning
message. Why?

From: Jim McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 02:50:28 GMT

"Julio R. Escobar" wrote:

> Hi all, I am setting up RH Linux 5.2 for the first time on a 1.2 GB
> HD.  I intend to use the machine as a custom Linux desktop.  When
> booting up with the floppy disk, I am asked to create partitions using
> Disk Druid. Can anyone make suggestions on how to partition the
> drive?  If possible, please make suggestions on how to partition the
> drive using fdisk.  Keep in mind that I am a newbie. Much thanks for
> your help.
> --
> Julio R. Escobar
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ** Physics liberates minds **

When I partition, I make "/", /usr, /var, and /users partitions, plus
two swap partitions. Normally /usr is my largest partition, because this
where I install most of the software I download. My swap partitions are
normally as large as the amount of RAM I have (128 mb). I hope this
helps.

Jim  McIntyre
Webmaster Program
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

------------------------------

From: Rich Piotrowski <rpiotrow*nospammin'*@worldnet.att.net>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Running Windows NT Apps under Linux
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:21:32 -0500

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Lee, Joey wrote:
>Greeting
>
>Do you know any software will allow Windows NT apps run under RedHat Linux
>6.0? Any instruction is highly appreciated.
>
>Regards
>JL

Sure, It's easy. It only costs a little money.

Try:

http://www.vmware.com

Rich Piotrowski

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:17:34 -0500

> "Julio R. Escobar" wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am setting up RH Linux 5.2 for the first time on a 1.2 GB HD.  I
> intend to use the machine as a custom Linux desktop.  When booting up
> with the floppy disk, I am asked to create partitions using Disk
> Druid.

You should also have the choice to use fdisk.  I don't remember
now exactly how it looks under the RH 5.2 installation, but
if you choose a custom install, you should be given that choice.
I think it shows the current partitioning and let's you choose
to edit it on one of the buttons.  That takes into a terminal
interface and fdisk.

> Can anyone make suggestions on how to partition the drive?  If
> possible, please make suggestions on how to partition the drive using
> fdisk.  Keep in mind that I am a newbie.

With a 1.2 Gig disk of fewer than 1024 cylinders I would just
make two partitions, a root partition and a swap partition.
Then you won't have a problem later if you need more room
in the root partition.   The only drawback is that in case
you want to reinstall (rather than upgrade) you will also
lose your /home directory.   But you should try to find some
way to back that up anyway.   If you really feel you need
a separate partition for /home, you should probably do something
like 800 MB / and 400 MB /home.

If you have more than 1024 cylinders, you will have to be sure
the partition in which /boot lies is all below cylinder 1024.
If necessary, you can make a small (10MB?) partition for /boot.
But I would be surprised if that were an issue for your disk.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Tyler Leeds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 Hardware Compatibility Questions
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:24:29 -0300

Yes all of that is compatable with openlinux 2.2   except possibly with your
modem   if it is a winmodem (look on the box if it requires anything over a
486 66Mhz then
it is      it won't be compatable   if though it is a standard modem   then
there will be no problem    you will not have sound support working out of
the box though   it will
require adding some modules and possibly re compiling the kernel

------------------------------

From: Jason Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to find out kernel version
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:04:31 -0700

How does one find out ones kernel version number?

------------------------------

From: Les Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: images and perl scripts
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 03:31:04 GMT

How do I get images (gif &jpeg) to display in HTML that is created by any
of my perl scripts? I have placed copies of the images in the cgi-bin and
other directories (thinking that CGI-BIN is scriptaliased) but still only
get an icon indicatiting that an image should be showing. The same problem
occurs if I want to use a background image in the HTML i.e <BODY
BACKGROUND="background.gif"> (no background image displays). Other than
that problem everything else is working fine! Is it that you can only
display HTML or Images and not both?
Many thanks

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: "unknown" in uname output ?
Date: 30 Aug 1999 03:34:05 GMT

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:07:41 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If I enter "uname -a" I get some useful information about the active kernel.
>What does the "unknown" in the last column mean ?

Acording to the manual page it should refer to the hardware type.
I got unknown aswell.  I suspect that it could be set up to reflect
the architechture of the machine you are using (i386, alpha, etc.)
but this is just a guess and could very likely be bogus.;-)

====================

Let the machine do the dirty work.
                -- "Elements of Programming Style", Kernighan and Ritchie

Dowe Keller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replace FAKE with worldnet

------------------------------

From: "Jerry Jackson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to find out kernel version
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:06:01 -0400

uname -a or uname -r
check out man uname

Jerry Jackson

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Doug Marker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:01:00 +1000

==============DC7FFFD894EAE5E65078B8D0

Hi -

I was part of a team evaluating various Linux dists & we are writing a
book related to this project.

Initially I advised people to do create the following  (based on 20
years Unix experience) and adapting to your disk size

/      (100MB)
/usr  (800MB)
swap (as big as the most RAM you will install)
/var  (100MB)
/tmp (50MB)
/home (whats left)

But after much rethinking & having worked with Caldera & some other
Linuxae - I now throw caution to the
wind and recommend these

swap (again - based on the most ram you will install)
/var (100MB - to keep the logs from choking / over time)
/ everything else

I don't use this config myself - (I add /home as a sep disk) but so many
3rd party prods
now go into
/opt
/usr
/usr/local

That it seems pointless trying to partition the way I always used to.

Linux is heading toward a single partition install (apart from swap) and
this is because
Windows has done it and got away with it for years no matter how bad the
actual practice
is viewed.  (easy way out syndrome).

Cheers

Doug Marker

"Julio R. Escobar" wrote:

> Hi all, I am setting up RH Linux 5.2 for the first time on a 1.2 GB
> HD.  I intend to use the machine as a custom Linux desktop.  When
> booting up with the floppy disk, I am asked to create partitions using
> Disk Druid. Can anyone make suggestions on how to partition the
> drive?  If possible, please make suggestions on how to partition the
> drive using fdisk.  Keep in mind that I am a newbie. Much thanks for
> your help.
> --
> Julio R. Escobar
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ** Physics liberates minds **

==============DC7FFFD894EAE5E65078B8D0

Hi -
a book related to this project.
20 years Unix experience) and adapting to your disk size
other Linuxae - I now throw caution to the
many 3rd party prods
and this is because
the actual practice
5.2 for the first time on a 1.2 GB HD.&nbsp; I intend to use the machine
as a custom Linux desktop.&nbsp; When booting up with the floppy disk,
I am asked to create partitions using Disk Druid.</font>&nbsp;<font color="#000080">Can
anyone make suggestions on how to partition the drive?&nbsp; If possible,
please make suggestions on how to partition the drive using fdisk.&nbsp;
Keep in mind that I am a newbie.</font>&nbsp;<font color="#000080">Much
thanks for your help.</font>&nbsp;
color="#000080"><font size=-1>**

==============DC7FFFD894EAE5E65078B8D0==