Linux-Misc Digest #595, Volume #21               Mon, 30 Aug 99 02:13:13 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Latest Kernel... WHERE? (John Doe)
  PCI Modem Problems (Sethuraman Baranidharan)
  More fonts for X Server (Jorge O. Martinez)
  Re: Kernel Panic: and I Panic too. (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Kernel Panic: and I Panic too. (Leonard Evens)
  Re: How to find out kernel version ("Steve D. Perkins")
  Re: More fonts for X Server (letdown)
  Re: Linux Journal or Linux Magazine (John Doe)
  CD-RW Install Problems - Please help (Jason Bond)
  Re: Shell Script ("Mark Nienberg")
  Re: termcap & color question (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Had it with RH6 ("Steve D. Perkins")
  Re: HP PPA printer language, Liunux supported??? (David M. Cook)
  Re: How to find out kernel version (Jeffrey C. Dege)
  Re: dual boot win 98 (AngryMob)
  Re: Using Disk Druid  to partition a 1.2 GB drive (Warren Bell)
  Re: dual boot win 98 (AngryMob)
  what is the largest partition Linux file system can handle? (ken@y)
  Re: [Q] message on telnet? (Stuart R. Fuller)
  is there a HOWTO about upgrading a Linux kernel? (steve@nospam)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Subject: Re: Latest Kernel... WHERE?
Date: 29 Aug 1999 23:17:59 -0500

On 28 Aug 1999 15:51:42 GMT, Cameron L. Spitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sir Esteban Patricio wrote:
>>Where do I find the latest STABLE kernel???
>
>Go to http://www.kernel.org/ and choose a nearby mirror.

If you are in us you can get it at ftp://ftp.us.kernel.org

>> Do any sites post it in an
>>RPM format by chance?
>
>You don't need an RPM.  Get 2.0.38 or 2.2.11 (or maybe 2.2.12 by the
>time you read this), unpack the tarball, and make according to the
>instructions in the README.
>Read the kernel HOWTO and modules HOWTO if it's your first time.
>

>>Alao, what is the latest version number??? I have 2.2.5-15....

As of today 8/29/1999 it is 2.2.12 stable 2.3.15 dev

2.2.12 won't compile on mine. 2.2.11 did.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sethuraman Baranidharan)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.install
Subject: PCI Modem Problems
Date: 29 Aug 1999 22:18:37 -0500

Ok, I have a Lucent PCI modem 56K v.90 and I know it may not work, but keep hearing
that some of them do.

(Yes, I have seen http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html and it didnt help me,
sorry).

Here is the situation:

In Windoze the modem works at COM3 with IRQ 5.

Just before LILO I find that PCI resources are listed and I see

"BUS 0 DEVICE 17 SIMPLE COMMUNICATION CONTROLLER, VENDOR 11C1, DEVICE ID 0440 IRQ 5."

Then I login into root (under RH 5.2). I  look into dmesg and see

Probing PCI hardware.
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 349.80 BogoMIPS
Memory: 127776k/131072k available (748k kernel code, 384k reserved, 2164k data)
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
Linux IP multicast router 0.07.
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_5.6.0 initialized
Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.
Linux version 2.0.36 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ...
Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
Adding Swap: 128484k swap-space (priority -1)
...etc
________________________________________ENd OF DMESG___________________

/proc/pci  contains

PCI devices found: Bus 0 Device 17 Comm controller UNKNOWN vendor L56xMF (rev 1)
  Medium devsel  fast back-to-back capable IRQ 5 Master capable no bursts
  Min Gnt 252, Max Lat=14,  Non prefethcable 32 bit memory at 0xe8101000.

I started xwindows, used modemtool and pointed /dev/modem to  COM3.

Then setserial /dev/cua2 uart 16550A port 3e8 irq 5. (I also tried ttyS2 and
the result was the same).

Started netcfg and setup correct ip numbers etc. Now "activate" command
does not lift and dial. Nothing happens.

Then I went into /var/log/messages and saw that the error was in 'chat'.
Simply 'alarm' 'failed' and 'exit'. Basically there is no dialog between
the system and the modem.

I tried isapnp and the isapnp.conf file contains only lines with
#trying some address
#no boards

I dont think I have any Plug-N-Pray devices (also saw the Bios setup and noticed
PnP disabled there).

Any suggestions?  Would help if you give a step by step instruction on
how to set the modem up. Pl avoid the default answer "go get another modem"!

Thanks

-Barani

From: Jorge O. Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: More fonts for X Server
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 03:31:05 GMT

Hi there:

I installed Linux (Suse 6.2, love it!), X server, and can use several
different windows managers: Enlightment, KDE, etc. with no problem.

I really love it, but there is still something that I don't know how or
where to get: more fonts. You see, Netscape now only has like 10 or 15
fonts, and all the web pages look pretty much the same (not too good), and
sometimes, like right now, the letters looks really tiny. Is there
something that can be done? Is that dependent on the X server installed? or
the hardware?

Thanks for any help before hand,

Jorge M.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel Panic: and I Panic too.
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:51:51 -0500

Gabriel wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:14:38 -0500, Leonard Evens wrote:
>
> >You are still confused.  You don't want to put the lilo boot
> >loader in a logical partition.  It won't work.   The usual
> >situation either for a Windows/Linux dual boot or Linux
> >only system is to put it in the master boot record.  Thus
> >the first line should read
> >boot=/dev/sda
> >If for some reason you don't want it in the master boot
> >record, you can put it in an extended partition, probably
> >/dev/sda2 which I would guess holds your logical partitions.
> >But then you also have to use fdisk to make this the
> >active partition.
>
> on my MBR sits OS/2 bootmanager which loads lilo.
> this part works fine. LILO loads because i get LI_.
> Also, before my partition number got changed, the same
> installation worked perfectly. The problem is that since
> sda7 ( / )      become  sda6 &
> sda6 ( /boot )   become         sda5
> and nothing else was changed, LILO stopped working though I
>
> changed nothing except the corresponding lines in lilo.conf
> and
> fstab and rerunning lilo.
>
> Gabriel,
>
> PS. thank you for the rdev insight, in moments like these
> I'd believe
> in voodoo. So I tried it just in case.

> Gabriel

I give up.  Were I there, I'm sure I could get it to work.
I have with similar configurations before.   My only suggestion
is that you read carefully all the documentation including
the Lilo User's Guide and figure it out yourself.  You may
have to understand at the most basic level exactly how the
boot process works in order to see what is going wrong.
Here is a quote from the User's Guide explaining the LI

The first stage boot loader was able to laod the second
stage boot loader but failed to execute it.  This can either
be caused by a geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b
without running the map installer.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:56:37 -0500

Gabriel wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:14:38 -0500, Leonard Evens wrote:
>
> >You are still confused.  You don't want to put the lilo boot
> >loader in a logical partition.  It won't work.   The usual
> >situation either for a Windows/Linux dual boot or Linux
> >only system is to put it in the master boot record.  Thus
> >the first line should read
> >boot=/dev/sda
> >If for some reason you don't want it in the master boot
> >record, you can put it in an extended partition, probably
> >/dev/sda2 which I would guess holds your logical partitions.
> >But then you also have to use fdisk to make this the
> >active partition.
>
> on my MBR sits OS/2 bootmanager which loads lilo.
> this part works fine. LILO loads because i get LI_.
> Also, before my partition number got changed, the same
> installation worked perfectly. The problem is that since
> sda7 ( / )      become  sda6 &
> sda6 ( /boot )   become         sda5
> and nothing else was changed, LILO stopped working though I
>
> changed nothing except the corresponding lines in lilo.conf
> and
> fstab and rerunning lilo.
>
> Gabriel,
>
> PS. thank you for the rdev insight, in moments like these
> I'd believe
> in voodoo. So I tried it just in case.

> Gabriel

I give up.  I'm sure I could get it working were I there.

Try studying the Lilo User's Guide.  Look at the error messages
to see what LI and hanging means.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Steve D. Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to find out kernel version
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:53:01 -0400

> How does one find out ones kernel version number?

    Hmm... if you run your system in Runlevel 3 (console
command-prompt)... the kernal version should normally appear before the
login prompt.  If you run in Runlevel 5 (X-Win)... you can always open a
terminal window, telnet to localhost, and achieve the same result.

Steve

------------------------------

From: letdown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: More fonts for X Server
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:25:42 -0400

Jorge O. Martinez wrote:

> Hi there:
>
> I installed Linux (Suse 6.2, love it!), X server, and can use several
> different windows managers: Enlightment, KDE, etc. with no problem.
>
> I really love it, but there is still something that I don't know how or
> where to get: more fonts. You see, Netscape now only has like 10 or 15
> fonts, and all the web pages look pretty much the same (not too good), and
> sometimes, like right now, the letters looks really tiny. Is there
> something that can be done? Is that dependent on the X server installed? or
> the hardware?
>
> Thanks for any help before hand,
>
> Jorge M.

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

You will have to install a True-Type fonts server like xfstt.  You can find
more info
at    http://www.io.com/~kazushi/xtt/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Subject: Re: Linux Journal or Linux Magazine
Date: 29 Aug 1999 23:49:38 -0500

In my opinion all magazines suck.  After you read a couple issues
you have read them all.  So my advice is don't read either.  Or read a
couple of issues from both and cancel the subscription ...

------------------------------

From: Jason Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD-RW Install Problems - Please help
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:22:05 -0700

I'm trying to install a Philips CD-RW model PCA 460RW.
It's an E-IDE-ATAPI drive.  I've attempted a read of the Cd-writing
how-to and was left somewhat confused.
  I'm running the 2.0.36 kernel on a red hat 5.2 system.
I don't use lilo to boot...I hit f8 when booting the machine
and start linux from the command line of a dos prompt.
I don't think I need to upgrade my kernel...I just need to tell
linux that I want to enable the SCSI emulation for the cdrw drive.
  When I try and start X-CD-Roast Version 0.96e it says:

No Generic -SCSI-Support has been detected.  Without it,
not SCSI-Devices can be detected or used by X-CD-Roast.
Please load the sg-module (e.g. "insmod sg") or recompile
your kernel with Generic SCSI support.

But when I type: insmod sg
at the command line it says:

(root@blah: /sbin) ./insmod sg
/lib/modules/preferred/scsi/sg.o: a module named sg already exists

I have the cd-rw drive as the master on the secondary IDE
and I've included the lines:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
     label=Linux
     read-only
     append="hdc=ide-scsi"

in my /etc/lilo.conf file but that doesn't seem to do the trick.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

  Jason

------------------------------

From: "Mark Nienberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Shell Script
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:56:25 -0700

I highly recommend the book "Sam's Teach Yourself Shell Programming".  It
will answer all of your scripting questions, and then some.  Check it out at
Amazon and you will see that it is very favorably reviewed.

Mark Nienberg

==========

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: termcap & color question
Date: 29 Aug 1999 23:47:00 -0500

In article <7qcomj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Justin B Willoughby wrote:
> I want to have mutt use colors in my xterm like it does on the console. I
> am now using the larger bsd termcap. What should the TERM variable be set
> to under an xterm to get mutt to show colors like on the console? Of
> course my `ls` does display colors with the default TERM=xterm under an xterm.

Usually mutt is built against slang, rather than ncurses.  If that's the
case, you may have to set the COLORTERM environment variable.  (I usually
set it to $TERM; I'm not sure whether the exact value matters.)

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Steve D. Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Had it with RH6
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:55:00 -0400

> SB16 PNP worked flawlessly under 5.2, and is broken by default in 6. I
> got it to work, only after pouring through several HOWTOs including
> one for a completely different model sound card.

    I've been complaining about the exact same problem on this group for
about a week-and-a-half, and haven't heard any possible solutions yet.
What exactly DID you end up doing to make your sound card work?

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Subject: Re: HP PPA printer language, Liunux supported???
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 05:03:04 GMT

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:04:08 -0400, Jeff PIerce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Now the question, what about Linux??? Ghostscript?? and just plain
>printing text, ie. no filters, just send an ASCII char to the printer???

There is a driver that partially works.  See www.picante.com for more info.
I wouldn't buy one right now.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeffrey C. Dege)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:03:00 GMT

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:04:31 -0700, Jason Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>How does one find out ones kernel version number?

You can read it from /proc/version:

$cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.2.5-22 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux
(egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Thu Jul 29 21:42:59 CDT 1999
$

Or, if you want it pretty, use procinfo:

PROCINFO(8)            Linux System Manual            PROCINFO(8)

NAME
       procinfo - display system status gathered from /proc

SYNOPSIS
       procinfo [ -fsmadiDSbhv ] [ -nN ] [ -Ffile ]

DESCRIPTION
       procinfo gathers some system data from the /proc directory
       and prints it nicely  formatted  on  the  standard  output
       device.

--
    "[I]n fact, I didn't know that cats _could_ grin."
    "They all can," said the Duchess; "and most of 'em do."

------------------------------

From: AngryMob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dual boot win 98
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:04:36 -0700

remove-to-reply Matt Friedman wrote:

> Depends. Some Linux distributions, like RedHat and Caldera, come with boot
> software. You could also go and get third-party boot software like
> Masterbooter -- just search for it at Shareware.com. One thing to remember,
> though is to be sure, when you indtsll Linux, NOT to install lilo on the
> master boot partition.
>
> MF

what the hell are you smoking??!?!? do not install LILO on the MBR??!?! that is
the perfect place you want to install it in.

am

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 05:56:13 +0000
From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Using Disk Druid  to partition a 1.2 GB drive

> "Julio R. Escobar" wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am setting up RH Linux 5.2 for the first time on a 1.2 GB HD.  I
> intend to use the machine as a custom Linux desktop.  When booting up
> with the floppy disk, I am asked to create partitions using Disk
> Druid.
>
> Can anyone make suggestions on how to partition the drive?  If
> possible, please make suggestions on how to partition the drive using
> fdisk.  Keep in mind that I am a newbie.
>
> Much thanks for your help.
>
> --
> Julio R. Escobar
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> ** Physics liberates minds **

I'd say some safe settings are:

Mount point     size      growable         type
/               200M      unchecked        linux native
/home           200M      unchecked        linux native
/usr            700M      unchecked        linux native
/swap           100M      unchecked        linux swap

This is providing you'll be the only user.  The more users, the bigger
you'll want your /home partition.  If you're doing a workstation install
you should be alright.  If you do the full install with everything you
might run out of room.

And use Disk Druid, it's the easiest.

------------------------------

From: AngryMob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:06:10 -0700

remove-to-reply Matt Friedman wrote:

> Lilo will boot Linux, but it will not, to the best of my knowledge, give
> you the option of booting to Linux, Windows, OR some other OS at boot time.

?!?!!? it WILL boot Windows, MS Dos, NT, 95, 98, OS/2 and countless other
operating systems. I would like to see Win 95/98 do that for me.

am

------------------------------

From: ken@y
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps.comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: what is the largest partition Linux file system can handle?
Date: 29 Aug 1999 21:22:02 -0700

trying again. never got any answer on this yet.

Any one knows what is the largest partition Linux ext2 can handle?

I've created a 37GB single partition on an IDE drive (new IBM drive).
mkfs works fine. it creates it OK, I can mount it OK, etc..

But every time I reboot, I get errors on that fs (missing inodes, or
duplicate something, etc), running fsck on it does not help, only
way to reboot is to go to /etc/fstab and remove it.

Then tried 2 partitions on the same disk. 18.5 GB each. All OK now.

so, any one knows of linux limitation for size of partition? why ext2
failes to mount a 37 GB partition but not 18 GB one?

this is using SUSE 6.1, kernel 2.2.5

cheers,
ken

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: [Q] message on telnet?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 06:10:02 GMT

: In article <qdgcq7.3hh.ln@localhost>, Stuart R. Fuller wrote:
: >Cameron L. Spitzer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: >: Okay, I commented out the boot-time overwrite, and put an
: >: empty file in /etc/issue.net, and my tcpserver (formerly inetd)
: >: invokes in.telnetd with -h, and my machine *still*
: >: prints its hostname with the login prompt.
: >
: >I just tried it out on my system, and it does not give any host name
: >information.
: >
: >What if you were to create /etc/issue.net with just a blank line in it.  Would
: >that be sufficiently "blank" to suit your purposes?
:
: Then I get the blank line, followed by a login prompt with the hostname.
: SuSE 6.0, Debian 1.3, and Debian 2.0 all do this.
:
:                     +---
: Invoke client.      | $ telnet judi
: Client says         | Trying 208.xxx.xxx.xx...
: all this.           | Escape character is '^]'.
: Blank line in       |
: /etc/issue.net.     |
: Login reveals       | judi login:
: host name.          +---
: I want login to
: just say "login:" and not give away the hostname.

Very strange.

On my system (Redhat V5.1), and a Mandrake 6.0 system, I don't get the:

        hostname login:

prompt.  I just get the "login: " prompt.

A quick perusal of the sources reveals that the login program is what is
displaying the hostname on the login prompt:

        printf(_("\n%s login: "), thishost); fflush(stdout);

It's curious, also, that on a console, the first login attempt gets the
hostname with the login prompt, but after a login failure, subsequent login
prompts just say "login: ".  Remember, however, that the initial login attempt
was solicited by a getty program, while subsequent attempts are from login.

Here's what testing I did:

As a stock configuration (/etc/issue.net exists) and stock configuration of
telnetd (no -h, or any other switch), I get

        [contents of /etc/issue.net]
        login:

So, I renamed /etc/issue.net away, then I get

        Linux 2.0.36 (my-hostname) (ttyp1)

        login:

If I manually start a telnet daemon (and leave the /etc/issue.net renamed
away):

        in.telnetd -h -debug 49 -h

where 49 is a randomly chosen unused port number, I get:

        login:

So, I don't know what to tell you.  I'd suggest that you download the sources
for util-linux (where login comes from) for your distribution, and see what
they're doing that's different.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: steve@nospam
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: is there a HOWTO about upgrading a Linux kernel?
Date: 29 Aug 1999 21:44:31 -0700

hi.
any one knows HOWTO upgrade my running system from one Linux kernel to
another? how do I overwrite exisitng kernel and use the new one? do
I just build the new one and overwrite /boot/vmlinuz with it? what
about existing /usr/src/linux? and what about the libraries etc..? are these
affected?

thank you.
steve