From: Dmitri Barski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: question on modules.
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:36:18 +0200

Hi!

peter@question_on_modules_in_linux wrote:

> in the howto for kernel, it says:
>
> "9.2 Modules distributed with the kernel
>
> As of version 2.0.30, most of everything is available as a loadable
> modules. To use them, first make sure that you don't configure
> them into the regular kernel; that is, don't say y to it during
> `make config'. Compile a new kernel and reboot with it. Then, cd
> to /usr/src/linux again, and do a `make modules'. This compiles
> all of the modules which you did not specify in the kernel configuration,
> and places links to them in /usr/src/linux/modules. You can
> use them straight from that directory or execute `make modules_install',
> which installs them in /lib/modules/x.y.z, where x.y.z is the kernel release."
>
> my question is: when it says "most of everything", what does it mean?
>
> does this mean, I need to say 'NO' to everything in make xconfig? if so,
> what is the point of using make xconfig, if I will answer NO to
> everything?
No. First of all you say "Module" to everything you want to "modulize" (
or modularize or whatever 8-) ).
And then you think a little bit ( BEFORE you make a new kernel! ). E.g.
your root partition ( with all the modules etc ) resides on an IDE disk.
Now you have compiled the IDE support - as a module. So when the kernel
module loader ( you HAVE said "YES" to it, haven't you? ) detects that
your root fs is on e.g. /dev/hda1, it tries to load a module "ide.o".
But the directory /lib/modules/ resides on an IDE drive, which is not
yet accessible because you have compiled the support as module. So the
kernel cannot access the root filesystem and stops booting with "VFS
panic: cannot mount root fs".
So you see, there are several things you HAVE to compile into the kernel
( NOT as a module ). These are: you root fs driver ( normally ext2, but
possibly umsdos or ( soon ) xfs or something else ), the driver for the
drive your root fs is on ( IDE or SCSI ) or NFS driver ( then you will
want to say "yes" to your network adapter and to various network
protocols and options ) ( in short - everything you need to access the
/lib/modules/ directory ); the support for ELF binaries is a MUST (
otherwise you cannot boot ). Almost anything else can be compiled as
modules - floppies, cdroms, tapes, networking ( unless you have your
root fs on a network ), misc binary support, sound...

> for example, suppose I have NIC card X. Now, do I NOT select it in the
> network device support section of make xconfig screen? then just
> do make modules? How do I know that make modules will build the needed
> module for that card if I did not select it?
>
> I think I should select it as Module (m option) in make xconfig, then
> do make modules. No ?
Yes. And no. You say "yes" to kernel module loader ( somewhere in
"general options" AFAICR ) and "M" to everything you want to be
modularized. Then you edit "/etc/conf.modules" ( after reading "man
conf.modules" of course! ) to let the module loader know e.g. WHICH NIC
should be loaded as eth0. Or you load it with "modprobe ne2k-pci" (
example for an ne2k-pci compatible ).

> this is confusing.
No. Not really. Ok, perhaps a little bit 8-).

> thanks,
> Peter
You are welcome.

CU Dmitri

------------------------------

From: Stephan Houben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bash shell script
Date: 30 Aug 1999 16:17:59 +0200

Bart Vanherck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am writing a little script that copies some files from one directory
> to another.
> I have an index file that contains the names of the files that must be
> copied in the
> selected directory.
> For this script I want to see a line in that file, but how can I do this
> ?
>
> The script on the command line is as follows    " cpfiles  <index-file>
> "
> The destination is always the current directory.
> For the script I want to examine the index-file.

Something like this might work (untested):

for filename in $(cat $1)
do
  cp $filename .
done

Greetings,

Stephan

------------------------------

From: "Benedikt Hochstrasser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:35:55 +0200

#!/bin/bash
# the following will put the contents of the index file into a variable
named filelist, converting
# newlines to spaces
filelist="$(cat /yourpath/index.file | tr "\n" " ")"
for filename in ${filelist}; do
  # uncomment following line for debugging...
  # echo "Processing ${filename}"
  cp -v /your/old/directory/${filename} /your/new/directory
done

Should do the job...

Ben (bhochstrasser at swissonline in ch)

Bart Vanherck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asked in article
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Joseph Brennskag" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Restricting User Access to Directories on FTP
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:08:16 -0400

I am a Linux newbie and have a question.

I have set up and am running the wu-ftp V 2.4.2 server.  It works fine, but
I would like to be able to restrict users to directories at or BELOW their
home directory.  I know this can be done, but don't know how.

Can anyone help?

Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: why not C++?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:25:19 GMT

On 29 Aug 1999 15:29:10 -0700, Don Waugaman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Sigh.  I enter yet another language flamewar.
>
>I have little hope of convincing anyone who has followed this far, least
>of all NJR whose opinion is expressed so vehemently.  However, there are
>some parts of his post I'd like to touch on, along with some blatant
>errors in fact I'd like to correct.
>
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>[ snips ]
>
>>My point was that he's added even more pointless and obscure things to C++
>>such as reference variables. What the hells the point of those when you
>>already have pointers?
>
>References are extremely important for use with operator overloading
>and templates.

These are non-essential reasons for their existence.

>I'll moan about operator overloading later; the use of
>templates and generic programming is quite possibly the most powerful
>and farthest-reaching use of the C++ language, and the absence of
>reference variables would weaken templates to the point of near-uselessness.

I use templates without references plenty of times. In fact, I can't recall the
last time I used a reference in conjunction with a template. When it comes to
containers, I put pointers into them, rather than references. Small objects
can be stored in the container directly; you just ensure that the default
constructor is cheap in case the container needs a dummy sentinel node.

The only time you need to use references is in defining copy constructors and
assignment operators. These language features could have easily been designed
around pointers instead of references; there is no inherent, essential need for
references.

>References also cannot be induced to point to NULL in a strictly-conforming
>program, which can eliminate a lot of checking of input conditions (or more
>practically, since most C routines don't check their input parameters
>anyway, can make the use of such routines much more reliable).

Most real world software isn't a strictly conforming program.  You can readily
create pointers that are never null. Also, a pointer can be const qualified
which prevents it from being re-seated, just like a reference.

        int x = 42;
        int * const p = &x;

Now p can't be modified to be null or to point at anything other than x.  The
only difference between p and a reference is syntactic sugar, whose value is
dubious, because it masks the potentially dangerous aliasing that is going on.

------------------------------

From: "Jody Thigpen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux 286
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:36:51 -0500

Is there a distribution of Linux that will run on a PC 286 Platform?

Jody

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Subject: Re: permissions
Date: 30 Aug 1999 14:27:47 GMT

On 30 Aug 1999 16:12:45 +0200,
Stephan Houben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Donato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> How can the root give permissions to the other users, so that they can
>> mount cd-roms and floppy drives?
>
>Add the `user' option in the 4th column in the /etc/fstab file.
>
>Read `man fstab' for more info.

Which will point out that the `users' option will allow different people
to mount and umount the CD-ROM, could be handy if someone left a CD in
the drive.

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: matt shobe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: telnet connects, but 'closed by foreign host' b4 prompt
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:30:34 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you have a telnet line in /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf,
editing
> the line in /etc/inetd.conf to start telnet in debug mode.  See
> telnetd(8) also.

which item in the telnet listing do you change to go into debug mode? I
have

telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/tcpd in.telnetd

...right now.

--
Matt Shobe
Burning Door LLC - http://www.burningdoor.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Radovan Garabik)
Subject: Re: Printing two pages on one
Date: 30 Aug 1999 14:22:34 GMT

Sascha Bohnenkamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 :>Iīd like my printer (epson using ghostscript) to print a postscript file
 :>two pages on one (like many postscript printer support).  Unfortunately
 :>I donīt have such a printer. Is there any possibility to do so?
 : maybe ps2ps (imho included within suse) should do the job

pstops

| __..--^^^--..__         garabik @ fmph.uniba.sk           |

From: Jason Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie Installing Kernel problems - starting X
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:09:41 -0700

I'm trying to re-install the 2.0.36 kernel on my system
(it already is 2.0.36 but I've bought a cd-rw and I'm trying
to get the scsi emulation to work).  I've followed all
of the instructions on which components to load directly
and as modules (as closely as possible).  I've done
make menuconfig, make dep, make clean, make zImage, make modules, and
make modules_install and I've
copied the zImage file to the appropriate place.  When I install  the
new kernel, it seems to boot up to when xdm tries to
kick in.  It goes to the text linux login and then attempts
to switch to X and then just sort of blinks
and the login screen never shows.  It works fine and I can
login, etc. if I change /etc/inittab to start the normal text based
screen (setting id:3:initdefault).

This "feels" like a problem with the video mode, as I've
encountered similiar symptoms when I set up the monitor in XF86Config.
Is there somewhere in the kernel setup process that one must specify the
video mode as an entry in the XF86Config file?  Or is there somewhere
that one specifies the video generally and where not doing so would
cause problems?

I know this isn't all that much information, but if anyone knows off
hand of a stupid mistake I've made or a place I've overlooked I would be
very appreciative.  Thanks,

  Jason

------------------------------

From: "Adam Luk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't connect to the internet!
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:27:23 +0800

Hi, I am new here, this is my first visit!  There's some problems I
encounter and I would appreciate if anyone can help.

I just install Red Hat 6.0 in my 420M harddisk (removable).  I've hanged
around with it for a few nights seeking the way to connect to the internet.
After I configured Kppp in KDE, finally I got connected.  I'm excited.

But when I get a larger harddisk, I installed everything (using the
everything option in RH6.0) to this 1.2 G harddisk. But when I tried to
configure Kppp the same way as I done in the old harddisk, I cannot connect
successfully.  The modem just hanged up and redial when the connection went
to "Logging on to network....".  I've setup the same way in Network Setup,
Modem Setup, etc.?

Haven't I miss something, any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:10:02 GMT

:
: which item in the telnet listing do you change to go into debug mode? I
: have
:
: telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/tcpd in.telnetd

Append "-D debug-option" to the line, then

        # kill -HUP `pidof inetd`

to restart inetd.  Do a "man telnetd" to get a list of debug options.

Now, that answered the current question.  The original question of why this is
happening has not been answered yet.  Rather than stabbing and guessing at the
problem, have you looked in various /var/log/* files, such as "messages" or
"secure".  Do this:

        - telnet to your machine and let it fail to let you in
        - perform the command "ls -ltr /var/log"

Now, the last files indicated have the most recent lines added, and will
likely be a log of the telnet failure.  If you can't figure it out from that,
post some relevant log file information for further analysis.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: Where is current kernel config file?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:10:02 GMT

Jason Bond ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Does anyone out there know where the current kernel
: config file resides?  I'm trying to compile a kernel and
: I want to keep most of the current options.  Thanks much,

/usr/src/linux/.config

I believe that if you use the standard configuration tools, they will source
the configuration file first, so that they become the defaults.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Just Keijser)
Subject: Re: Linux 286
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:18:11 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jody Thigpen"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is there a distribution of Linux that will run on a PC 286 Platform?

Nope, Linux will run on 32bit platforms only, and the 286 is not that.

Sorry,

JJ

                 *NOTE*
   My Email return address is not correct
    in order to avoid mass mailings...
     These are the correct addresses
     (but with dashes between all letters):

  Jan Just (JJ) Keijser
  Unix Support Engineer / Configuration Manager
  Logica Inc. - Lexington MA

  SMTP: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Just to confuse some of those junkmailers:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for
    the change to take effect. Reboot now? [OK]

  My views are my own...
                    flames > /dev/null 2>&1

From: Nix <$}xinix{$@esperi.demon.co.uk>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: 30 Aug 1999 00:48:28 +0100

[Why isn't this on comp.lang.c++(.moderated)?]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

[on overloaded whitespace]
> Why doesn't it surprise me that Stroustrop came up with this lame idea.

Oh, for goodness' sake...

It wasn't *intended* to be a brilliant idea.

As you'd know if you'd read the paper (available online at
http://www.research.att.com/~bs/whitespace98.pdf), it *was* an April
Fool's joke. He suggests outlawing multicharacter identifiers in the
same paper, for goodness' sake.

> For a man that had the opportunity to clean up the C syntax and make it
> more readable yet managed the impressive task of making it even more of an
> dogs dinner than it already was, he really should have learnt his lesson by
> now.

_The Design and Evolution of C++_ makes it quite clear that just about
every place in C++ where syntactical complexity was added it was
needed. The only two probable errors highlighted there were the syntax
for pure virtual methods (added in a tearing hurry prior to the release
of Cfront 2 because it was forgotten about), and the syntax for
templates (the angle brackets added too much complexity and ambiguity to
the parser).

The areas which should have been cleaned up which were not were
principally `switch' and the declarator syntax. It is notable that Java,
unhindered by the goal of C compatibility, kept those particular horrors
of the C syntax.

For a language that tried to do everything, C++ did a good job of
avoiding ending up like Ada. Unfortunately it still fell prey to the
second-system effect, but not much.

>      I just wish academics like him would crawl back into their ivory towers
> and shut the doors for good since they seem to forget that programming
> languages are tools to be used by people, not machines, and therefor should be
> as syntactically clear as possible, not look like line noise.

As D&E makes clear, practical considerations were paramount throughout
the design of C++. The very compatibility with C about which you
complain was maintained to make it easier for *practical* programmers to
migrate! Features were never added unless there was an existing
implementation which did not add inefficiency to the language; 2%
inefficiencies (eg in the inheritance scheme) caused rewrites and in one
case (IIRC) a language redesign.

And C++ does not look like line noise unless you do not know it well
enough.

You can write stuff that looks like gibberish in C++, to be sure --- but
you can write such in *any* language. C++ is not particularly evil for
allowing that itself.

Where C++ may perhaps be at fault is that it is sufficiently complicated
that only now (15 years after the language was born) are compilers
widely appearing that implement it properly...

... although C had a similar gap, come to think of it (~'72 --- ~'92) so
perhaps we shouldn't criticise C++ for that, either.

Not that any of this makes it any more sensible to reimplement the Linux
kernel in C++...

> NJR   (a C/C++ programmer for 15 years)

You were using C++ in 1984? Really?

--
'- I can't believe my room doesn't have Ethernet!  Why wasn't it wired
   when the house was built?

From: Nix <$}xinix{$@esperi.demon.co.uk>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Shutdown Problem
Date: 30 Aug 1999 01:07:32 +0100

Greg White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm no expert on the subject, but couldn't you use the -sync option

That depends how slow you want everything to run (and mounting with -o
sync is *slow*.)